1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people knock the Ricky slap tone????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, May 2, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I was just wonderin'???? I have a 4003 that I run through a Genz-Benz hybrid and Ampeg 4x10, and the slap tone is amazing!!!!

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, I've been playing Rics for about 30 years now and, to be honest, have never heard one "slapped"....

3. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Just listen to some Rick James:D

4. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I think it's just a case that other basses are just more suitable, both in layout and tone. I'm not saying a Ricky can't be used for slap, just that jazz types have a more 'definative' slap sound. You could play early Yes tracks on a jazz type bass, but would it sound more convincing than a Ricky, no I don't think so.

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I played a goof green one with black binding that had a pretty cool slapped tone.
    Don't remember which model.
    But I'm strange like that. You should hear me (see actually, there is a video) of me slapping on a Grestch hollow body. And it sounded cool as hell!:D

6. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    hahahahah!

Thank you for making me think of the following..

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/52605

^Who says ricks are no good for slap?

7. i think that the rick has a good slap tone, but it just seems to get lost in a mix imo

of course i think that about rics in general...great tone, but they seem to get lost in the mix easily...roger glovers ric was the only ric i've ever heard really cut through and sit in front of the mix

8. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I did the pickgaurdian mod, and it definitely made the layout more slap friendly. Oh, and ya gotta love some Dave Chappelle:p

9. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Squire? Geddy?

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I hear you! I didn't say they couldn't be slapped, just that I hadn't heard one....I say, if it works....go for it!!

11. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    +1 on that. Squire is definately up front and Geddy's Rick, to me, cut through much better without overpowering the mix. When I hear Rush with him playing a Jazz, it seems that the bass it just too loud, which is not what I would say is cutting through a mix. The Rick recorded rush tracks (Farewell to Kings period) has the bass sitting nicely in the mix but clearly heard.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Alot of Rick James' and Teena Marie's records that were slapped, were slapped on a Stingray, and sometimes not by Rick.

13. Hell, for that matter, Lemmy? Cliff?

14. ok, three guys...
    and i don't count cliff, because i can't hear him very well on metallica's cds...

but i still stand by what i say...just because there are 3-4 good examples doesn't mean that I'm wrong...

for example...I like Wishbasses...I bet that I can find two more bassists that dig wishbasses, so does that mean that everyone likes wishbasses?

15. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually, I think that a Ric is one of the EASIEST basses to put "up front" . . . I don't believe I've ever heard a single recording of a Ric that didn't stand out . . .

Paul McCartney, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Roger Glover, Mike Rutherford, Dave Meros, the guy in Franz Ferdinand . . . in ALL of these guy's bands, the bass is so audible and "up-front" when they're playing Rics . . . I have trouble all the time when I record stuff because my Ric is TOO up-front sometimes . . . I've never heard anyone play a Ric that wasn't "up-front" (okay, not true, there was some screamo band I saw on TV, and, assuming the Ric in the music video was used to record the song, it didn't stand out at all).

As far as slap goes, I don't do it very well or very often, but several people have gone slap-crazy on my bass and they always commented to me how amazing it sounded that way. Also, Larry Graham and Les Claypool both use Rics quite a bit. That's a pretty good track record right there.

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well, I wasn't exactly digging into the depths of my brain for those names. Alls I'm sayin is that the bass players most famously associated with Rics seem to stand out in the mix.

17. My theory is that people disdain the Ric slap tone not because of the tone itself, but because of the players (and genres of music) that you usually see a Ric associated with.

When I used to have a 4003 (I stupidly sold it.), most of my friends thought that the only things that could be played with it was prog, punk, or metal. That is, until they played it. I'm not a slap guy, but my friend the Victor Wooten worshipper came away from playing it with a LOT of respect. Not enough to run out and buy one, but enough to stop talking ****e about 'em.

18. LOL!

Paul D'Amour - that guy was always sooooo hard to hear in Tool's Undertow and Opiate albums...was that the bass, that soft, pillowy sound that opened "Sober" and "Opiate"???

..and I could never hear the bassline to "Roundabout" by Yes ..or "Red Barchetta" by Rush either:p

FYI, Roger Glover got a Ric because his "beloved" P Bass was getting buried beneath thick guitars and a Hammond Organ - although he put J pups on it(he recently "fixed" that), it bassically brought his tone to the forefront....in a band that was once in the Guiness book of world records for being the loudest band on planet Earth!

BTW, I also own a J-Bass, played a P-Bass many times at practice, and own an Aria Pro with EMGs with three band boost and sweepable mids, and they don't stand a chance of dominating the mix like my Ric...I remember my guitarist and drummer's reaction the first time I played it "That bass sounds sooo aggressive!!"

19. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Seen it - groovy sound from that one. I can only imagine how it must have sounded in person. The audio from the camera can be a bit thin.

I played one at Tru-Tone Music in Santa Monica and was relly impressed. That was such a joy to play, thin neck and nice fat tone!

20. Something tells me that Cliff gettiing buried wasn't exactly his doing, tonally speaking or otherwise.