1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why Do People Love Precisions So Much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    So, I took a tour of the town, scouring the land for basses, and in my travels, tried out a Fender P-Bass. I HATED them. Sure, they sound pretty good, but they feel all wrong (at least to me), and they felt way too limited. It seemed like I could probably get the same sound out of a different bass with more versatility. So what is it that justifies the price of a P bass for people?

KEEP IN MIND, I only got about 2 minutes to play it, and I couldn't really hear myself too well, so I honestly don't know if I'm missing something.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Wow, I hope this thread's as much fun as the other 47 just like it were!

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For a lot of people that's just the tone they're looking for. It's all subjective.

4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    as much as I'm tempted, I'll resist the trolling envy... :scowl:

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    They just happen to be the Standard and a tradition, look at10 pics of bands plaing live. I would bet 7 bass player have P Basses.

Find one you like, the necks on the ones you have played might seem big and clumsy. Some of the late 50s re-issues have narrow necks.

6. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Dude, no need to be a jerk. I'm just trying to figure out what the big deal is.

7. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    P basses are the fried foods of the bass world... fat, greasy, but oh so good.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Why do people like dogs? I can't understand one that my self, yet a lot of people seem to like and even love dogs............

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like my Precision a whole lot better with the new LH1000 I am now using.

before it was a nice bas, now it's like Whoa!

I still want another bass or 2 for tonal differences.

10. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I have a black Precision, and despite some wonderful flaws with Fender's 2008 MIA paint schemes... I love the body shape. I aboslutely love it. I do plan on getting a graphite replacement neck and a new pickup, though. The newer Precisions sound pretty 'tame', actually. Not much life in it tonally.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I hate spaghetti... some people like it, but I don't understand why...

-robert

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's not a big deal. If you don't like the Precision, find something you do like instead. They're simple instruments; you play one for five minutes and you pretty much get what it's about. Honestly, there's no insight on how to make you like it....okay, if you played it through an SVT in might change your mind about it, but other than that, it's just not your thing right now.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Because they are good basses.

14. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Well, the reason I'm asking, is I only got to play one for about 2 minutes, then I had to leave. I didn't get to play around the with amp, I barely heard myself over all of the awful metalheads screeching away on their guitars, and the salesman wouldn't let me just play around with it (Guitar Center of course) .So, I have a very limited knowledge of it, and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

15. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    In 90% of music styles, if you just plug a Precision into some nice amp, you'll get a perfect bass sound. Nothing more, nothing less :)

16. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    The tone is something you cannot get from a different bass with more versatility. If the P tone is what someone's looking for, versatility will mean squat.

17. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    i went travelling a round to neighoring towns to find a musicman to try out because id never tryed one, so i found one played about abit and found......really unsatisfying and didn't anywhere near live upto its hype.

there was a 2008 fender precision next to it, now ive never been big into P basses, but i tryed it anyway and WOW!!! blew my socks off, the musicman had a 3 band EQ but this P bass had just a volume and tone and seemed to just produce more 'useful' tones and i meen every little roll of the tone switch gave the instrument a whole differant life!

THAT my friend is why i love P basses!

(The musicman was versatile but most of its tones were just useless and id never use, the P bass with one passive tone control had everything you'd need for most styles of music. GOD I LOVE YOU P BASSES!!!! hehehehehe!!!!)

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Right On!

19. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I think people like them because they are cheap. Cheap basses fit a lot of budgets. I am not even sure if they actually like the bass as much as settle for it because it is cheap. You get what you pay for.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This post is about as dumb as the Ops post is admittedly ignorant. Congrats.