Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Do People Play With SWRs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassturd, Nov 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. hey fellow bass players. since i have been playing bass i have been using Ampeg heads and cabs. I've tried other amps and in my opinion I think Ampeg gives the best sounds in the business. I see other peoples comments about amps and they always recommend SWRs. WHY? they suck! i hate the sound that comes from that head and from their cabs. they sound like they have a big blanket covering the speakers making it sound all muffled.

anyways, i think SWR sounds like crap!

2. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Well,

You are probably right ;)

On the other hand, If I was someone like YOU ( someone who has the power to say THIS sucks, that doesn't ) I would say Ampeg SUCKS! I played all the Ampeg heads and I don't like any of them, but I'm not saying that they all S***.

They just don't cut it for me, nither SWR.

I'm glad that Ampeg works for you and I hope some day you will become an Ampeg endorsee :)

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Thanks for your opinion. To answer your question, some people think SWR heads and cabs give the best sound in terms of tone and clarity. As for Ampeg, just a few days ago, I tried out a 4x10 Ampeg cabinet powered by a SVT-3PRO amp head. Your words, "sound like they have a big blanket covering the speakers making it all sound muffled", were exactly how I would describe that experience. You see, it's all a matter of personal choice.

4. Yeah, I don't know why either, but I like flatwounds and 15" speakers too! I use an Ampeg SVTCL w/8X10 cab as well as some old Sunn stuff. I've used the SVT on gigs for over two years with no problems. I play it loud, slaved to the Sunn rig (2000s) w/2X15 cab. I like my Ampeg, and so does my drummer as well as our engineer, but I love my Sunns!

5. yes, it does depend on the amp. for example i prefer the old vintage ampeg heads. i play threw a 70s SVT ampeg with a 1832HE Ampeg cab. awesome lows and crisp highs.

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Gee I dunno, maybe you should ask Michael Manring or Marcus Miller.

7. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    LOOOOOOL!

Good one ..

8. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    You know what absolutely blows my mind......how we all hear different things....to me Ampeg's sound like the SWR's do to the Basstard. All I hear out of those ole' Ampegs is BOOM BOOM GABOW.....no clarity....no definition...just BOOM.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Answer - For the same reason some people drive Ferraris and some people drive Lamborghinis. No joke.

10. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Great Marketing, and sponsership!!!

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Naaaah. When you can lay out $300k on a car that gets you traffic tickets and propositioned everytime you drive it, you've got better things to do than look at ads.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-13-2000 at 02:14 AM]

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    bassturd: what do you want by posting such a statement?
    want to hear that your Ampeg is better than your friend's SWR or what?
    If you like the tone of your Ampeg, well congratulations that you found your amp. If not (wich might be a possibility, be honest...) all Ampeg praises posted here will not be able to change this.

Matthias

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I just started playing 41 years ago so I don't know what I was thinking when I blew all that money on an SWR rig. I made the mistake of A-B'ing SWR against everything in my price range at several stores. Who would have thought I would end up buying a piece of crap. Oh well, at least I'm in the same boat with M. Manring. I can live with the disappointment of blowing my money on a piece of crap, but it really hurts to find out that Michael , with his limited experience, made the same mistake in equiptment choice.

By the way, bassturd, since you have a blank profile, I really don't know who I'm talking to. I have to wonder how much of your opinion is based on experience and how much is based on total lack of tact.

The real disappointment is that my bandmates and the people in the audience mislead me by telling me that my rig sounds great. It's obvious that they are just as dumb as I am.

Thanks for enlightening me, Bassturd. I'm going out now and chop up my crappy SWR rig. I thought about trying to sell it but now that the world knows how crappy it is, I'm sure that no one else would want it.

By the way,bassturd, welcome to T.B. With your refreshing lack of tact, I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends. :)

Pkr2

14. wow i guess i may as well turn my SWR into a plant potter
    does anyone know how much dirt i will need to buy for a working man 15?

15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Well guys, I don't own, nor have I ever owned an SWR. I'm a Hartke person.

But to show my support for my fellow TB'ers, I am going to heave my rig into this weeks trash!!

What have I been thinking all these years??!?? Now that my eyes have been opened to the truth, I realize that the last 20 years has all been a lie!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"
    I really like that one :):):)
    Matthias

BTW: I thought of replacing my Ampeg cab with a SWR - you think I should not do this? You know, I'm not so sure if my ears function properly...

17. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Bassturd.

Oh,I get it!!
    Bass! Turd!;):D

There are better ways of getting your thoughts and feelings across to others without pissing people off than coming here and stating that this sucks and that sucks. Sound and equipment are very subjective things for us bass players. We each have our own idea of what we wish to sound like. Some clean, some w/overdrive, some loud, some not so loud. If you have the sound your'e after, great, more power to ya, but by dissing equipment and such you are also dissing those that love and use that equipment. Which happen to be many here. So if you plan on making friends here, I'd suggest you don't shoot off your mouth without thinking about what your'e saying first. I too play through an old SVT, and am not personally fond of the SWR sound. Although I do like the workingman combos. :) But I would never think of coming here and saying they outright suck.

18. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Pkr2 you use the solid state stuff...you failed to mention that.

19. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Bassturd,

Please find the thread called "Housekeeping". It's here. Please read it.

Particularly this part:

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I don't see that what I use is relevent(sp) to the point.
    I'll give you some food for thought.

Example #1
    I play a P bass and after trying a J bass I wonder how anyone be can stupid enough to play a J bass. I can get the sound that I want with only a tone and volume control.J basses are pure crap.

Example #2
    I play a P bass and after trying a J bass today I find the sound of the P bass warmth and bluesy sound to be a clear choice for me. I see a lot of people playing J bass and sounding good,though. Any comments?

Now, if anyone fails to see the difference,in a social sense, between these two messages that both conveyed my position, then I don't really have any advice for you.

As our fearless leader J.T. put it: I think, I believe and "in my opinion" makes all the difference in the world to the person reading the message.

Pkr2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.