1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do people say a P bass ISN'T a 1 trick pony?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:53 AM.

1. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Space Ghost and Frankenstein Junior Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Cowzone, Mushroo, btmpancake and 3 others like this.
  2. Why yes, yes they do. I think you win the thread.

cataract likes this.
  3. Adhesive_X

Adhesive_X Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Queen CreeK, AZ
    It's acceptable to be a one trick pony as long as it sports flats and tort.....maaaaan! :)

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL, I'm actually kinda surprised at how much the sploded :).

5. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Actual horses and ponies cannot go beyond 30 tricks. I own a few (actually my wife ).

P-Bass is a one trick pony. I agree. You no like? Sue me. :)

LBS-bass likes this.
  6. horses-eating-carrots-2.jpg

Thegrandwazoo, moreblues and cataract like this.
  7. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    parks-rec-harvest-festival-ep-lil-sebastian.jpg

This is one of the craziest threads I ever read on talkbass.

DJ Bebop and cataract like this.
  8. No, I dig it's different. I also play DB.
    I was just sayin' like the DB, the P bass, it's you and just the P bass making it happen.
    Like the DB, where many folks play DB yet they all draw out different things from the same instrument.
    The P bass is like that. Many folks believe the DB and the P bass are one-trick ponies. I don't :)

giphy.gif

roccobass likes this.
  9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    LBS-bass and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ps are American processed cheese or Miracle Whip, you know when it's there, you know when its not there.

That's how I select what bass I'm going to use.

Cowzone and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. Polish Thunder and Yammybass like this.
  12. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    For the same reason that guitar guys get furious when you suggest that Gibson's headstock design could maybe have been a little better, and has been improved on over the last 60+ years, or car guys of a certain age get furious when you have the audacity to suggest that EFI, regrettably, is indeed superior to carburetion, or certain shooters get furious when other people suggest that their plastic pistols are functionally better than 1911s and revolvers- tradition.

A lot of people, once they've gotten used to an idea, simply will not consider the possibility that sometimes things change for the better. I love P-basses tonally (don't care so much for them aesthetically, I know- HERESY!), but yeah, there are undeniably VASTLY more versatile bass guitars out there nowadays. To deny that would be stubborn, or ignorant, or both. A lot of folks won't admit it, though, because of how traditionally beloved the Precision is.

I get that (I myself prefer a lot of more traditional things/techniques in a lot of areas of my life, despite being aware of newer or better ones), and if that's what you're into, you're within your rights to like what you like. The problem comes when people insist that anyone who prefers something that is an inarguable improvement over their antiquated favorite is wrong, stupid, or just an inferior player who needs more nannies to make up for lack of technique or something along those lines.

wesonbass and Joe Nerve like this.
  13. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Leo is rolling in his grave

Thegrandwazoo and MynameisMe like this.
  14. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    Not serious, just providing another view as we all are. Truly, If I had room in my apartment, I would out my stable with a P bass.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Especially in the hands of Ray Brown, Miroslav Vitous, Keter Betts, James Jamerson, Gary Peacock, Ron Carter, Mingus, Jimmy Garrison, etc. etc. :)

16. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Space Ghost and Frankenstein Junior Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    When I saw this post early AM my post was my first thought..

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I'm not him, but I am an unabashed Ernie Ball Music Man fanboy. I'm perfectly willing to admit that, in my opinion, single-pickup Stingrays are indeed a 'one-trick pony', and more so even than a P-bass (remember, just my opinion). I probably wouldn't ever own a single pickup Stingray, however.

My US Sterlings (a 2003 4 H and a 2012 Sterling HS, more sure to come in the future) are very versatile, and so are any of the multi-pickup EBMM basses.

18. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va

The reason is is not considered a one trick pony is because it does more than one trick. Using your numbers:

500>1

To your point, just because there may a more extensive tonal palate with other basses, does not mean that the PB has only one trick up it’s sleeve. I seriously doubt that with a creative sound engineer, you could tell the difference between basses with 100% accuracy 100% of the time.

In essence, I totally disagree with your premise.

19. Thegrandwazoo

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I agree more with this than any other explanation I think I've ever read for this phenomenon.

Planespotter likes this.
  20. Denial.
    Edit answering the thread title.