1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people smack their lips when they eat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sandmangeck, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    and make other obnoxious sounds? It irritates the dickens out of me.

2. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    The timing of this thread couldn't be any more perfect. The guy sitting closest to me does this daily. He is a "grazer" too. meaning he eats like 5 times a day. Kill me now.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I take it youre speaking of people who you are dining with? I wouldnt be able to hear anyone smack their lips or make other sounds unless they were in close proximity to me.
    Perhaps it has something to do with the shape of their mouths?

4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes. The same with Gum. It's pretty much the only thing that irritates me very easily.

5. Most of the time, it's nothing more than bad manners.

Sometimes, it's because of a dental or medical problem. For example, someone who's had a stroke may have difficulty chewing and/or swallowing.

But...MOST of the time, it's just bad manners. Someone's mother failed to teach them manners, I guess.

You can try to bring it to their attention. That's what my mother did to me and it worked. I don't smack my food. You can just find some polite way to say to them that they're making some pretty disgusting noise while they eat and can they please chew with their mouths closed. Of course, if it turns out the person has a dental or medical problem that causes it, then you'll feel like a jerk but how else are you going to know? Live and learn.

6. I hate people eating with their mouth open, its annoying and pretty disgusting noise. I guess its more annoying when the kid is sat there doing it right next to his parents as if nothing is amiss. Sure they might not mind but if you're sat in a public place you should have a modicum of decency towards other people.

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    This is why I hate potato chips. The loud crunching, combined with lip smacking and open mouth crunching....

Oh, now lets image enclosed quarters, thick air and screechy chalkboard...

makes a person lose it.

8. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    This is a hot button topic for me, but from the other end. My wife constatnyl compalins that I'm making gross sounds and must be eating with my mouth open

The kicker? I'm not

Thanks to parents who taught me manners well at a young age my mouth is always completely shut while chewing. The wife will even turn and say something the second I open my mouth for a bite. You try eating without opening you mouth, I haven't worked out all of the kinks to eating through osmosis.

I think its really that some people are more sensitive to the sounds than others.

9. When cats do things you don't like, you just squirt them with a water bottle to get them to stop.

Trying carrying a water bottle and just squirt your coworker in the face when he smacks his food. Not only will you be helping him become a better person, but you'll have lots of fun in the process!
    :hyper:

10. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    I think I can sift through the folks that might be doing for other than reasons than just being rude. Those folks I can accept.

The guy that sits the closest to me at work, is quite obviously one of the ones where his parents didn't teach him this social norm. I honestly do not think he is aware. My dad had an instant slap across the back of the head when we did it as children. This guy, his parent spared the rod. When he first hired on, the other guys here would flame him pretty bad. But it never deterred him from smacking his lips.

He's at it again!!!!

11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Touch the back of your throat and throw up on their feet.

Either that, or bring some small irritating noise-maker that children love to drive parents crazy with and make it do its thing the whole time they smack. When they stop, turn it off abruptly. When they start up smacking again, start the beeping, whirring, playing a MIDI version of Mary Had A Little Lamb, or whatever the thing does.

12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    My brother used to squeak his teeth when he ate/chewed. It used to annoy me so much that I could of punched him in the face! But hostile I know, but it's the truth.

13. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    That's brilliant. I'll have Pavlov's Dog chewing with his mouth closed before summer time!

14. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    They weren't taught etiquette when growing up. Same for people that inhale food at an alarming rate. It's disgusting. Put your fork/sandwich down while you chew. Funnily enough when it comes to dating I usually chose to do a quick lunch meal early on to judge how much etiquette they know. Sounds shallow but it is what it is. If I brought somebody that eats sloppily and noisily to the table with my parents and grandparents they would look at me with shock and horror.

A friend of mine (an anime obsessed young lady) actually vocalizes "nom om nom om" when eating because she thinks it's cute. :confused:

15. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    You haven't murdered her? I would think that sort of behavior would at the very least cause a violent outburst of profanity....

16. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Really? People actually care and get annoyed at the way other people choose to eat, and get offended by it?

I can't say I have ever noticed any noises, or even paid the slightest bit of attention as to how other people eat their food :/

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I feel the same way. If anyone near my office is annoyed by slurping sounds I probably drive them nuts.
    I slurp coffee from a huge cup from 8-11am daily at the office.

If these are the things that annoy people, I would recommend they look into some behavioral therapy and learn to deal with the world around them. No offense to you guys, of course.

18. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    I am a relatively tolerant person. But I've never been able to date someone that smacks lips while eating or pops gum. It probably stems from my parents being so strict with table manners. I have to get up from my desk when someone eats loudly.

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    For some i think its cultural. I used to share a cube wall with a Hmong guy and i think that was the case. When he ate it was as loud as clapping hands.

20. Dogs do it in the animal world. I would be curious if it's tied to IQ in any way.