Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do Phish fans dislike Oysterhead?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm sure it dosn't apply to all of them. But i was reading some Phish message board a while back and everyone there seemed to agree that Oysterhead was the worst side project or something of that matter. I finally picked up the album not to long ago and it's pretty sweet. Better then most of the garbage out there today. So what's the deal, why all the hate for Oysterhead?

2. Because it's not Phish.

I discovered Oysterhead a couple of years back when it first came out. I discovered phish later. I like them both.

3. i like both as well. on paper, that should have been a supergroup similar to cream imo...i mean, look at it. claypool, anastasio, and copeland. these guys imo are almost masters at their craft. it should have worked!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like Oysterhead a lot. I don't like Phish. THe PHish phans probably don't like it because it just doesn't fit into their jam band paradigm.

brad cook

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think oysterhead is awsome, and i really don't like phish, but i don't dig astasio much at all though.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto.

Even hippies need someone to look down on.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I figured Oysterhead was like a clash between psycadellic hard rock/metal fans and hippies/phish fans. I always dug treys playing, but Phish wasn't really for me. I thought him and Les grooved together well.

I'd like to hear from some Phish fans on this.

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    No clever misspelling of the name.

Phish fans thought Trey was getting lazy.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm downloading an Oysterhead song right now. I've gotta say, I tried hard to like Phish...I really did. They just...ugh, they didn't "groove" with me enough.

EDIT: Yeah, Oysterhead's awesome.

10. uh, LOTS of people don't like oysterhead, it's nothing to do with phish fans. :rolleyes:

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    and that has nothing to do with the question. He didn't ask why lots of people don't like them, he asked why lot's of Phish fans don't. :rolleyes:

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Trey's annoying vocals and huge ego are the only thing that kept Oysterhead from being awesome. Les and Copeland deserved better.

13. thats interesting that you say trey has an ego...it doesn't seem like that to me, but i've never really met the guy either. i like phish a lot, and i mean, a lot, and the same with oysterhead. to me, (as said before) should have been a supergroup. it seems like copeland would have had the bigger ego, as far as what i've seen on VH1 behind the music...

14. and i gave him an answer. it's because phish fans are people, and lots of people don't like oysterhead. :rolleyes:

15. I just recently picked up Oysterhead, I love it. I don't care for much Phish stuff though. I think Phish fans might have seen Claypool's playing alittle over bearing on Trey's playing.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    whatever, obviously he was looking for a correlation. Continue missing the point. :rolleyes:

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's obviously some kind of seafood fight. Just wait till the Clams arrive.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think we can all agree that Phish fans aren't people, now can't we? ;)

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Have you seen my muscles?

brad cook

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Have you heard Primus?