1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do players either love or hate Half Rounds/Groundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sandwell, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sandwell

Sandwell

Jan 2, 2017
    UK
    I've never tried these type of strings but from what I've read on here people seem to either love or hate them. Why do they inspire such polarized opinions? the clips I've heard of them sound fairly good...

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    They can have a really harsh feel to the fingers especially at first - even though they're effectively flats on the outside, the ground-flat outer surface of the wrappings have sharp edges between the wraps. They do soften up a bit after a few weeks of regular play, but can cause some wear and tear on the fingertips - tougher calluses build up eventually. I tend to prefer pressurewounds to get a somewhat smooth feel and sound while avoiding the ground wound's sharp edges.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Yeah, when they're new they feel a bit sticky but that goes away pretty quick. Personally, I love Half Wounds (ground wound rounds), I've been using them for years and have them on all my basses.

I guess the answer to your question is that people have weird expectations. I used to ne a Rotosound Round Wound guy when I was younger and more prone to trying to emulate other bass players. Since then, I kind of fell into my own flavor which is less harsh and much more vintage. I initially tried Ground Rounds but fell into the D'Addario Half Wounds. For me they have nice round qualities but also can get some grit and treble when I lean in on 'em.

It all comes down to personal preference. They work for me.

bholder likes this.
  4. I think there's an underlying, subconscious reason.

I went for quite a long time trying this and that roundwound only to prove the ancient rule (this really was transcribed from hieroglyphics inside an Egyptian tomb chamber in a pyramid, the pharaohs had it going on . . . ), 'take very good care of your strings . . . . and they'll go dead anyway'.

So once you're older, grizzled, and attained a bit of wisdom, it then doesn't bother you to buy roundwounds that the company conveniently killed already (for a few dollars more, I add) to save you this aggravation. So now, I like them.

5. When I first used D'add Half Rounds I didn't like them. Then later on I found I did. Now I like them.

Good sound. Lovely to play.Smooth as a baby's bum.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.