1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do resellers think we're stupid ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You can buy THIS BODY for $129.00 + $22 shipping -

!BRVn0nQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLl0EpmBJ9f,jGc9Q~~_12.

OR -

You can buy the WHOLE BASS from Rondo for $99.99 + shipping

spj62red1.

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Because alot of people are that stupid.
    You overestimate the intelligence of the average person.

3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sadly, true. :rollno:

4. i take the body it just looks better without a neck

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    if you dont know any better, that seems to be a pretty good deal compared to a fender or squier

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    lol, yes.

sometimes they know we are not stupid, but they know non a non bassist person could fall.

7. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    That ebay seller seems to be pretty low volume compared to a company like Rondo. So a $30 difference in price does not seem to be that out of hand. The guy does not seem to be trying to sell it as anything that it is not. He is at least giving detailed pictures and descriptions of the exact product you will receive. That is not something get with Rondo. So what is the big deal?

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    "Why do resellers think we're stupid ?"

They don't necessarily "we're" stupid. All the seller needs is one person who doesn't know any better, and the odds are in the seller's favor.

10. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    For all the praise those basses get here it should be worth that. No?

11. doggo

doggo

Dec 18, 2008
    Wilmette, IL
    Ooh! An extra body to go with my SX neck! Sweet!

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

So you're saying you'd rather pay the extra $30 for just the body, instead of just buying the whole bass for less $$$ ?

As far as info, Rondo gives info regarding the bass in general, the reseller gives info regarding just the body. I don't think one is more detailed than the other, really - with each one the info pertains to the product being represented.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    When I buy the whole bass I remove the neck and throw it away anyway.

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They're great basses for the money. However, buying the whole bass for $100 is a much better deal than buying a body for $130, wouldn't you say ?

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

So "because you throw away the neck anyway", you'd rather pay the $30 extra bucks so you don't have the hassle of unscrewing 4 screws ? I think not.

:D

16. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Sometimes it's just easier to sell in parts than as a whole.
    I haven't visited that seller's page but I'm guessing by the reactions you guys have that the seller hasn't put any other work into it. Or has he?

Usually when I stick a bass in parts on the 'bay I have waited a substantial amount of time with it as an assembled bass. But I also usually have upgraded the part considerably.

It's not what YOU think something is worth. It's what the buyer thinks and what the market will bear. It's also the capitalistic way of the entire world.

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

No other work appears to have been done or was mentioned.

Typically when someone parts out a bass or guitar, they don't sell one part for well over the value of the entire guitar. Since the bass is $100. usually they'd sell the body for $75, neck for $40, etc or whatever - making a profit for parting it out - instead of just selling the body (a "B Stock, BTW) for $130.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not having information doesn't make one "stupid." It does mean one is at a disadvantage when doing business with those who have more information about the goods/services/property being proffered.

I recognize that most business people possess information that I as a customer do not have. Those who keep me as a customer are those who are providing value to me defined by my terms and needs. One of those needs is to not spend my life being afraid I paid "retail." :D

If I discover that I have paid a lot more to a business person because I didn't know "the trivial secret," that individual or establishment knows, that dealer/seller loses my business forever. One-time shysters get much harsher treatment.

That is the beauty of being semi-informed but willing to buy (as we all are). With a small amount of experience, you can remove those engaged in so-called "sharp" business practices from your economic world by simply shopping elsewhere. Doing one's homework is important, but only up to the point where it is not keeping you from actually doing what it is you have set out to do with your days.

Most people who are selling soon learn that a one time customer is not what they want. If they don't learn that, they actually are stupid and soon broke.

Finally, I find there are many reasons to do a deal besides a fractional difference in price. :cool:

19. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, since the NEW price is $100 - and this is a B Stock body with no other work done to it for $130, I'll let you guys figure it out.

Anyway, I'm done with this subject. Fact is that the reseller is counting on buyer ignorance to sell his B Stock item for a much higher price than a new "perfect" item.

20. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I never said anything like that. I am just confused as to why this particular product is evidence that a reseller thinks buyers are stupid. I gave some possible reasons for the price difference that I believe are perfectly understandable. If you want to shop around, you can almost always find a lower price for something, but some people will typically just buy the first good looking product that satisfies their needs. If somebody was looking for a P bass body and found this, I don't think they would be getting ripped off if they bought it.