Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do so many dislike the Doors?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't know about you people, but I know a lot of people who really hate on the Doors. I think they are an excellent band, but it's kind of strange how they have always seemed like the only "classic rock" band that always gets put down.

I obviously wasn't alive when the Doors were around. Where they originally similar to a teeny band at the time they came out?

2. I for one love the Doors. I am a huge fan, I own all of the albums, live and studio , including American Prayer.

I wasnt alive when they came out either, but I can tell you, they were no teeny bopper band. More like a band for the Psychedelic folk. See some live footage and your mind will be clear.

3. Although my hippie brother used to babysit me & I often fell asleep w/my head up against his stereo w/the doors blaring.
    As page states the doors were NOT teeny in any sense- they freaked a LOT of older folks out.
    I, for one, like them- though they didn't have a regular bass player.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i love doors.................and the doors

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i loved the doors

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    ?

I like em a lot as well.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Considering both Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix died choking on vomit, I don't understand why Morrison's death is seemingly hyped more.

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    That organ sound puts me right off!

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    One day while in a comic book store the owner was playing the Doors...(crystal ship i believe was the tune). Then of course I heard the songThis is the End on the movie Apocolypse Now. I decided to get a greaest hits double cd. That's all I've had of them but love every bit of it! I'm 32...not of that generation. Just a thought...peple say they want a time machine to go back, save the world or someting. How bout going back to see Morrison, Hendrix, Woodstock...??? Sorry I watched The Time Machine last night.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you like them why should it matter if anyone else doesn't like them? I do not like them, its just a matter of personal preference.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't hate 'em!!! One of my all time favorite bands.

The Doors are actually my favorite "classic rock" band. Yes, that means I like them even MORE than Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Nothing wrong with that!

13. The Doors were a great band, and Morrison was a great frontman.

I think maybe he was a little overrated as a songwriter, but overall very good.

I think a lot of people try to be a little too cerebral in how they rate various classic rock bands. This works for and against the Doors, depending on who you talk to.

Anyway, they rocked and probably make more lyrical sense if you are slightly... altered. But people who "hate on them" are probably not all that open minded, musically. Their loss, not yours.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Doors were not a teeny-bopper band(even though some people were trying to get Morrison onto the cover of Tiger Beat or 17 mag...I forget which one).
    I mean, c'mon...Krieger sez he copped part of "Light My Fire" from Coltrane's take on "My Favorite Things". That's teeny-bop?!
    ;)
    The Doors were/are pretty rebellious & political; they were 'theatre', they were 'heavy'(i.e. not 'light')...true, they were not for everyone.

I'm not sure why you're saying they get a bad rap today...I haven't heard any of that.
    IMO, it took a lotta balls to release something like "Riders On The Storm" as the 2nd single(unedited) from L.A. Woman.
    Morrison didn't back down on changing his words to "Girl, we couldn't get much 'better'". He hadda know they would got barred from future appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show.

From what I've read, The Doors' LIVE shows could be either 'great' or very 'poor'. They didn't really use a set/song list...some of their tunes(e.g. "The End", "When The Music's Over", "Unknown Soldier", etc) relied on feel & the vibe of the moment. The live stuff I have(Absolutely Live, Live In Detroit, & various DVDs) sounds pretty damn good. In other words, they could play, experiment, & improv as well, if not better, than most of their Rock/Pop contemporaries.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah I've never been known to have many cd's that everyone was into. It's funny whn someone asks, Hey whadaya got to listen to? While I'm in the car...they check out my cd's and just look dumbfounded.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like the Doors. I'm not a fan but I have 2 cd's.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    To answer the question:

Because music is subjective.

18. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Morrison died of heart failure. Alledgedly only two people ever saw the body so their was this mystique that he faked his death to get away from the "Rockstar" life he was trapped in.

I don't think either death is "hyped" more than the other. The coincidence of three major rock stars dying in a short period (Jimi, Jim, Janis) just called more attention to them.

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I also love The Doors...

I made my own "best of" Doors cd and it is constantly in my cd player in the car. Got about 17 tracks onto one cd.

Absolutely love them! Jim Morrison really could write some of the strangest lyrics and they still sounded good...