Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do so many ppl hate Fieldy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ShadowR, Jun 26, 2001.

1. ShadowR

ShadowR

Jun 26, 2001
    I just started playing electric bass a few weeks ago, and I've been looking up stuff about bass, bassists, technique, etc. I've come across quite alot of stuff saying how much they hate Fieldy, but never why. So, why do so many bassists hate Fieldy? I don't really listen to Korn so I don't really know what their bass parts sound like.

2. the people who are saying that fieldy sucks are the same people who say flea sucks and mostly for the same reasons. every single new inexperienced bass player thinks that he is the greatest when they have nothing to base this on and this sometimes pisses off those of us who actually have good taste and prefere he technical challenge as opposed to the dead head school of beating the crap out of the instrument

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't hate him. I'm not pissed at the newbies.

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    People don't like fieldy cause of his "technique".

Just slapping a muted note to the beat of the drums doesn't sound very good IMO.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IMO, there are a few reasons -

> People who really know compostitional skills and how bass lines are constructed will find his playing moronic or boring at the least.

> His playing is very unconventional and he upsets the applecart.

> Technically proficient he ain't.

> He is more about the image than music. He represents music as a business, not music as one of the arts. This is really the fault of the megabuck conglomerates that own the major recording companies and radio stations listening to the jerks who sell them their focus group info for playlists and the market research.

As you noted, it is BASSISTS who say this, the most critical cage of hungry tigers he could ever be thrown into. (I've never seen him on the endorser list of any bass gear and Bass Player magazine ignores him).

I think few would dispute that many of us here are superior bassists/musicians to Fieldy but you gotta give credit to him and his promo people for doing a lot with a little. He probably doesn't check his bank account to get a new amp, but many of us don't measure success that way.

One thing positive I can say about him - his popularity gets young people interested in bass, whether it's playing the bass or just listening for it.

6. it wouldn't be nearly so bad if so many people didn't want to play like him.

7. I dont like him because Im jealous. I want free Puma shoes.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    He is in my Ibanez catalougue. :(

10. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like korn's music. But since I got more into the bass I realized that Fieldy can do only a little more with the bass than I can. Listening to other bassists like Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Dave Ellefson, and others made me realize that he is just there to fill a role with no kind of input into the music. it is sad really. But he has sold more albums than I have and probably ever will. It's almost a smack in the face when you hear Fieldy and his technique when compared the guys that I mentioned. Then many kids want to imitate his sound which isn't the best way to learn the bass. But if it draws more people to the bass, it can't be all bad.

11. rickbass

agye - I never have a reason to go there so I've never seen him on the list, but I still should have made a logical assumption. He would obviously have appeal to those in the market for for their lower end instruments.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ?????????????

He's a major Ibanez endorser and he's been on the cover of BP at least once, if not twice!!!

You need to get out more :)

13. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas

Ditto..............

14. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ughh. I can think of hundreds of other bands with bass players w/ more "moronic and boring" basslines. Atleast he sticks out from the masses. Maybe he should just be a little sheep in the metal herd and play root with a pic beneath the guitars , then everything would be great , right?

/lovebown

15. That's an excellent point. Also, I think his style, while not involving much skill, actually suits Korn's music, which is not exactly conventional itself.

16. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    True Fieldy basslines do suit their brand of metal/rap/rock. But he just seems to only do that one thing throughout the whole song. Which can get really annoying and very repetative.

17. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Here's my 2 cents.

I actually like Fieldy's lines a lot. Even though I don't think he has much skill, his lines DEFINITELY go with Korn's type of music and I also think his lines compliment the music extremely well while I'm listening to it.

Also, I may like Fieldy's lines and all, but I'd never take the time to learn them or play them even. Why? I don't play that kind of music and I wouldn't enjoy playing that type of music. However, if he can beat the hell out of the bass and make it sound good (which I think it does), more power to him.

Another thing I noticed some people were pissed that he got so much glory for doing skill-less crap. Well, that's how America is people, americans like skill-less crap. Look at Matchbox 20 for example. The only people with skill are the bassist and Rob Thomas, yet they went DIAMOND. Look at Tom Petty, their basslines are one note over and over again, people like them. Hmm, on that note, I think I'm gonna start a post asking why america likes skill-less crap.

18. rickbass

Where did I say his were the MOST....(blah blah)? Don't read what isn't there.

I'm sure you can think of bassists with more moronic and boring bass lines. ;)

19. rickbass

You need to read the posts that immediately preceed yours more.

Actually, I take some pride in being over 21 and NOT knowing he was included.

20. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hold it there, junior... the first thing that an experienced player starts to gain is taste, and the realization that "simple" does NOT equal "skill-less". One of the best things that a bassist (or any other musician for that matter) can learn is "WHEN NOT TO PLAY".

Just my opinion, but I can't remember a single bass line on any Tom Petty song that wasn't 100% perfect for the tune.