1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do so many suggest "bridge isn't grounded" with this symptom?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, May 29, 2020.

1. "My instrument is noisy, until I touch the strings!"

WillyWonka and Kro like this.
  2. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Because they repeat things they have heard before but have no idea how things work? If you read it on the internet it has the be correct.

Andre678 and Yonni like this.
  3. I've been trying to bust this myth for years & it still amazes me the pouring in of "bridge isn't grounded" EVERY time it's mentioned!
    It's like a deluge, & you better not try to explain why the bridge MUST be grounded for this to happen.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If the noise disappears when the strings are touched, that is an indication that the bridge IS grounded. If people want to argue the opposite, just say, “Good luck pal…”

coreyfyfe, mcnach, S.F.Sorrow and 2 others like this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't know about you, but with me the noise starts when I touch the strings... :laugh:

dwizum, Big Boz, Liko and 25 others like this.
  6. I'll type out the reason why & there will be a dozen naysayers right behind it. The thing is, it's not a person or even a few people, it's a LOT of people who believe this.
    This morning I just let the person who brought up the issue make up their own mind, instead of arguing with all the "bridge isn't grounded" crowd, by telling them to measure the Resistance from the strings to the output jack.
    Why do people who don't understand Electricity like to argue about Electricity?

ctmullins, jamro217, gebass6 and 4 others like this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Because there's no point arguing about turnips when you are trying to play bass.

jamro217, gebass6, robert43 and 4 others like this.
  8. Dang it Richard! Now we’ll have to try to find a way to get people to argue about turnips! :laugh:

I understand. A little while ago I read something in the LC that was wrong and I just thought that I just got home from work, I’m tired and I don’t have the energy to argue right now.

9. Recently there was a thread on here where the OP has this problem & myself & Turnaround explained that the bridge WAS in fact grounded. He even went into relatively deep detail about why touching the strings reduces the noise when the bridge IS grounded.
    It was as if NO one understood & they continued to argue how it was the bridge ground.

Last night & this morning I followed a similar conversation where a dozen folks chimed in that it was the ungrounded bridge. I pop in & comment the truth & no one is having any of it, LOL!
    At least the OP knows now to just check the Resistance between the strings & the output-jack. Next time I will just go straight to that advice.

JRA and jamro217 like this.
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I experienced stuff like this over a decade ago in a motorcycle forum. I guess there have always been obstinate people - the internet seems to make it worse. :meh:

gebass6 likes this.
  11. Ha, the first time I can recall dealing with it was on forums based around Thailand expats & there was a LOT of conjecture about how to get visas & work-permits.
    I knew the truth & sometimes felt compelled to interject reality into long conversations full of BS.

jamro217 and champbassist like this.
  12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    These same people probably don’t even own a multimeter or a soldering iron.

13. Actually, once I brought up using a meter, the peanut-gallery went silent & the OP thanked me for the link to a shielding tutorial & the advice about using the meter.

14. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Unfortunately there are many self professed experts that just know a smattering of something, just enough to be dangerous. It's these same individuals that repeat the same terms among themselves and clap each other on the back, without knowing what they are really talking about. Even more unfortunate for the person earnestly trying to learn, and getting sidetracked by this sort of BS.

UMA1 and jamro217 like this.
  15. At least the "you MUST oil your fretboard" brigade are relatively harmless, except if they convince someone to overdo it.

16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I could be in trouble.... I don't think I've ever oiled a fretboard.... Do I need to look out the window before I open my door? Maybe listen to see if my packages are ticking?

What is interesting is I have peavey foundations with different wiring. One has a capacitor between the bridge and ground, another one didn't. I don't know why... don't really care since they're both quiet.

17. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    First I'm not saying that I know everything, not even close.
    I'm often suprised how people with zero knowledge about something ( be it electronics, carbon fiber, neck design, does wood matter etc here in TB) have usually the strongest opinions. They have never even opened the electronics cavity, not held a neck blank, seen carbon fiber cloth etc and still act like they know everything about the issue. Often it's best to leave them alone with their wisdom, it's quite easy to see who really is worth the discussion instead of just arguing.

Dark Horse, DirtDog, Low Crow and 2 others like this.
  18. Ah yes, the "Active pickups in my bass, because there's a battery" folks have usually never had the controls-cavity cover off for more than to change the battery.

jamro217 likes this.
  19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've also heard, including from builders "shielding probably won't help", but every time I have that problem, shielding takes care of it.

dax21, jamro217, darren1970 and 2 others like this.
  20. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I distinctly remember that someone was advising people not to use tapewounds because the strings "would no longer be grounded" and that would introduce noise. (Nevermind the fact that the metal ball ends are touching the metal bridge.) :bored: Not sure if that was TB wisdom or I heard it somewhere else. Regardless, I love tapes and they're plenty quiet.

UMA1 and jamro217 like this.