Why do some people hate tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by HappyMikey, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why do some people hate tabs?

Is it because they're agains the whole playing someone else's music thing or what?
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Have you done a search on the subject? You'll see from the information post at the top of this forum that this is not the place to discuss the merits and drawbacks of tab. If you can't find anything by searching, I'd suggest the Misc. forum for pursuing it further.

However, it has been discussed - vehemently - before ;)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's because they don't help you with music, they only tell you where to put your fingers. Those fingerings are also wrong or inconvenient in most cases. They are useless in helping you to understand music. Learn to read standard notation, with a teacher's help preferably.

99% of all songs can be learned just by listening to and transcribing (standard notation) from records.

There is software out there that can slow down music without changing the pitch, which can help with transcribing, e.g. Slowgold(?). I think there's even a freeware plugin for Winamp.
  4. Oh well thanks and excuse me for not searching and posting the wrong topic and stuff...sorry....*I'm a newbie!*,lol,I wonder for how long can I use that excuse.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Don't worry about it. Actually this post is probably safer here anyway.

My take on it is that any system of writing music (tabz std notation nashville) is no substitute for understanding music.

Anyone who cannot play without any form of music in front of them is no better than a juke box.

Tab is restricted in it's efficiency because there is no timing. I personally refer to tabs (or music or charts of any kind) if I cannot get the line by hearing it.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    As was mentioned, there have been a lot of posts on the topic. Doing a search will give you all the info you wanted on the subject, and more.

But, as it is, this is not the forum for such a discussion. Not a big deal, but I'll put out the fire before it's burnt- PM me with any questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.