Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do strings feel stickier when you play out ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pickles, May 22, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Anyone else notice this? When you reherse the feel smooth as could be, but get to the gig and they feel coarse, rough, sticky ... happened to me really badly last night with Sadowsky stainless. I'm sure it has to do with nerves and the Ph of your sweat or something ... any cures?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Could be a difference in humidity levels, which I guess could lead to different levels of sweat and such.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    psy-cho-so-ma-tic.

no difference at all.

4. May sound wierd but if that happens (on either left or right hand fingers) just run the tips across the little grooves on either side of your nostrils. The nose grease trick has saved my fingers countless times when strings just felt sticky, and greatest part is it's free and (atleast for me) there's an endless supply of grease.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm sure you're right. I just wish there was a cure!

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    By chance, do you need to change strings after every gig? :D

7. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Humidity prolly. Also, when you play at a gig, that's only after hours of packing and driving and eating and lugging stuff up stairs and then setting up. I used to wash my hands in the club's men's room right before going on and things felt like at home.

Plus, I'd douse the fretboard with Fingerease.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I just had the same experience with Sadowsky stainless strings. I just tried a set of Sadowsky strings (steel) for the first time on a gig last week. I noticed during the last set the strings were getting sticky. I gig out about two or three times a month and never had this happen before with the DR's I use. :confused:

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Buy yerself some fast fret. You just rub it across the strings before a gig and it'll end your problem. Helps the strings to last longer too. I used to be addicted to that stuff - haven't used it in a while though, couldn't say why. Maybe i can afford to buy new string more often these days. :)

Reminder to self: Never borrow groovecenters bass.

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Beer on your fingers? ;)

Wulf

12. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree with DemoEtc. I never pick up my bass without washing my hands first, especially after setting up at a gig. Do you know how much beer and soda and smoke film builds up on all the gear - especially the cables that lay on the floor getting spilled on and walked every night?

Also, besides humidity, some players get nervous at gigs and perspire a little more than usual.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Interesting! Any chance of finish damage or buildup on the fingerboard?

Also, any comments on Fast Fret vs. Fingerease?

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I do the same, and my strings are usually crispy fresh when I play out, so its not a gunky string issue. Its felt this way with all brands of strings ...

15. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    GHS Fast Fret is also a fretboard cleaner. I use it on all of my basses..
    The only drawback is the windings will pull off some of th ematerial int eh applicator, so you have to be pretty fastidious afterwards to get all the l'il pieces of cloth and paper out of the windingsand off of the board.

uhm.. groovecenter... are you trying to turn this into the "Butter vs. Chicken Grease" thread?

16. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    scotts liquid gold. helps the wood and really cleans especially SS strings really well. :D use it before the gig and make sure to wipe off extra residue. might want to wash your hands afterwards also.

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    take your fingertips...and rub them against the side of your nose...or maybe your forehead....and pick up a little of the natural skin oil....

Problem solved

18. i used to work in a photo shop and the lab guy used the same nose grease to fill in scratches on damaged negatives. the prints always came out perfect.

unrelated to bass i know but good useful nose grease none the less

19. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I tend to lick my fingers if the strings get sticky, Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I have to tough it out. I'll have to try the nose grease trick next time.

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Rub talcum powder all over your hands. Works like a charm!

Graeme