1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do the noiseless pickups on my Fender active J make a lot of nose?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tegnoto89, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Seems rather odd... But I get a lot of buzz when I'm not muting the strings on my fender J, especially when the highs are above like 3 or so.

2. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Just realized this should be moved to pickups & electronics.. Can somebody do this?

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    could be a number of things. Pups too close/far away from the strings, low battery, grounding issues, loose pup windings, loose solder joint, EMI/RFI in the room are just some places to start. I'm sure a mod will move the thread soon. :)

4. I know that right before my cell phone is gonna go off, or someone is getting ready to text me, a weird sound comes out of my amp...lol, so I know to grab the phone! hehe (sorry, this reply is irrelevant to the question...

ps...your Fender J makes a lot of noses?? lol! sorry again, couldn't help that one! :)

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Noiseless pickups are also kind of a misnomer. Especially if you are boosting the treble. I have personally never owned an active fender jazz, but my EBMM had a little buzz until I adjusted the pickup height. I'd get a tech to do it if you don't know what you are doing though. ;)

6. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    If the buzz goes away when you touch the strings (or any other metal part, for that matter), it's probably just the grounding in the bass. When you touch the strings, you complete the ground, which is why the noise goes away.

7. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse

So, is there anything I can do about this? Or is it just one of those things I've gotta deal with?

8. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts

You can replace the ground wire from your bridge to the electronics cavity. Bring it to a guitar repair person if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. It should be an inexpensive job.

9. rjs6700

rjs6700

Jul 25, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    What particular model active Fender are you talking about. I have an Am. Deluxe that doesn't buzz at all (it does have noiseless pickups). I you put a active preamp on regular jazz single coils it will amplify the noise they had when solo'd.

10. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Single coil pick ups do that. Take them out and put humbuckers in there.

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If the hum goes away when he touches the strings, the bridge is grounding him - ie. the bridge ground wire is doing its job.

You could try proper shielding. From what i understand, noiseless pickups are splitcoil already - aka. humbucking - so the hum is coming from somewhere else, possibly your electronics. Properly shielding your electronics cavity can seriously bring down this noise level.

12. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts

I think you might be mistaken on both counts. If the bridge is properly grounded there should be little to no change in hum when touching the strings. An easy check would be to get a wire long enough to reach from the bridge to the jack inside the cavity. Touch one end to the bridge, the other to the jack, if the humming goes down significantly it's the ground wire. I also don't believe Fender's noiseless technology is a humbucking design, though I've never looked to verify that and I could find nothing online to confirm either a single coil or a split coil humbucker design. Shielding your cavity is a good idea regardless.

13. split-coil humcancelling is similar to humbucker humcancelling...

difference is, in a humbucker there are two coils sensing all strings, the coils are RWRP (reverse wound/reverse polarity)...
    in a split coil there are two coils, each sensing ~half of the strings (3/2 split on a 5-string)...these coils are again RWRP and usually connected in series...

for noiseless jazz pickups, they can be split or stacked...split is as described...stacked is two coils, one above another...
    on a classic humbucker (Gibson PAF or MM or G&L) the coils are side-by-side

+1 on the grounded bridge comment

14. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Okayy, I have an update; I don't know if this changed anything.. I realized the buzzing is only when my laptop computer is plugged into the outlet.

15. ah HAAAA!

I don't know...just ah HAAA! :bag:

seriously, the source of your noise is obviously your laptop and appears it's getting to the signal chain via your amp or effects box(es)...try using an isolation transformer in the signal chain and you're problem may be solved.

16. Hey, I had a crazy buzz with my custom shop jazz that I got last year, drove me crazy, especially when it had "noiseless pickups". I took it in to my guitar tech twice, he couldn't figure it out, eventually he said that there seems to be a problem with the 4 string noiseless pickups, most of them seem to be this way. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the 5 string version. He contacted Fender, to no avail, but they did send new pickups, albeit with the same problem. It was driving me crazy trying to record with that buzz so I took the bass back and have been using my P-bass ever since ;)

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They are humbuckers... "Fender noiseless pickups." They are stacked humbuckers.

Humbuckers only get rid of 60-cycle hum. The high pitched stuff is electrostatic noise and you need shielding to get rid of that.

The bass might just need better shielding, and I bet the pickups aren't shielded either, not do they have the pole pieces grounded.

I can sit in front of my CRT monitor with properly shielded pickups and they don't buzz at all. My noiseless Jazz pickups are noiseless. ;)