Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do they play so freaking loud??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Oct 14, 2005.

1. My wife dragged me to a concert lastnight. She's into the typical (what I call) "kid music" and got tickets to a Reliant K concert. Two other band played before the "main event".

Here's the thing (one of my pet peaves), they had the volume up SSSSOOOOOOO loud. . . . . . . .that my EYEBALLS were vibrating!!! :eek: Fortunately I had earplugs in. :rollno:

My question is, WHY do they have it up so loud? I know that there is an effect that happens when the decibles are in the upper range where you (the audience) can't detect flaws in the playing, but lastnight was rediculously loud.

Now, I've been to some very good concerts that had managable sound that was enjoyable. Even stuff that was my wife's preference.

The best sound at a concert that I've been to would have to go to a Bella Fleck and the Flecktones concert. I don't think I even used earplugs that evening. It was a FANTASTIC night. I hope to see them live again sometime soon.

2. If it's too loud, you're too old
    - KISS.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Then I'm too old ;)

However, I've still got good hearing and, as far as that's in my control, intend to keep it for many years to come. I suspect that a lot of concert punters (and performers for that matter) like to lose themselves in an enveloping cocoon of noise but, personally, I stick with the old fashioned notion that I go to hear (indeed, to listen to) music, not beat my ears into submission!

Wulf

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I don't think the issue here is age. It's the difference between listening to music and being in the flow of noise. Some bands obviously lend themselves more to being heard, like Bela Fleck & Flecktones, as mentioned. But even music that is loud rock often offers things to listen to, and I stay away from loud rock concerts not because of the kind of music it is, but because I end up paying money to NOT hear any bass lines, unusual rhythms, vocal, etc. If age were the issue, one would have to assume that young people don't care to listen to music, only to live in the pulse (or something), which I would say is primarily a non-musical experience. The sound of an overjammed sound system is not my idea of enjoying a live performance.

5. Take my comments tongue-in-cheek, I work for a P.A. Speaker manufacturer (our corporate umbrella name is LOUD)

I too don't like it organ-liquefyingly loud, trust me. I always have earsplugs in. Always.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    as a bass player, I love the fact that my band has a good sized PA because I think people can hear the bass a lot better if there's some power behind it... the louder and clearer we are, the better...

mind you, we play in horrible rough pubs etc, where people arent necessarily giving you their full attention.. if we played to nice respectful jazz club audiences who are there to listen, then a volume below 'fear of rectal prolapse' levels would obviously be more suitable

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I remeber a quote from Dickie from Blue Cheer (originators of LOUD!!) who said they wanted seeing them to be a physical experience, for you to be taken over by it.

Also, you don't have to worry about people talking while you are playing... because they can't!

I don't like too loud either, I like just loud enough and then maybe a tiny bit more. ;)

8. During the concert, I rarely heard anything distinctive with the bass. Sometimes their fingers were doing something that MAY have been cool, but all you heard was a loud conglomeration of sound waves.

FWIW, the young people in the mosh pit were having a good time.