Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do tweeters have to suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm kind of in tweeter hell right now. All three of my cabs are swr...One swr super redhead combo, one swr workingmans 410 (I replaced the 10's with swr's higher end speakers) and one swr henry 8x8. The workingmans 410 I can actually turn the horn all the way off-fine, no problems. But with the redhead and the henry even with the attenuators all the way down, as soon as I plug in a very hot (reverend brad houser) or active bass (G&L, fender jazz5) the tweets go to heck. Turn the amp up, and they make the amp sound like everything's overdriven. Help! Please:)

Thanks,

Chef

2. Most tweeters=made of paper.

You need a real compression horn, or something more heavy duty. Think PA speaker horns.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    bullet horns are the worst thing in a bass amp IMHO. I always bought cabs without..... till I found a killer cabinet with a titanium tweeter. Sounds like a less muffled version of a non tweetered cabinet... Not harsh & compressed like all the horns I've tried.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Freaky Fender: got ideas for replacements, like with part numbers and sources?

James, I take it your talking Schroeder? I've talked with Jorge some, and need to talk to him some more. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on either a 410 or a 21012, but I do want to find ways to make what I have work better as well...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I know some have modded their cabs to take a 6" driver instead of a horn... might suit you.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    WEll, my swr baby blue II has a 6" soft dome tweeter that is very nice...think it's possible to retrofit something like that to my "problem cabs?"

7. titanium horns/tweeters are very sweet sounding, not harsh or brittle at all like some Foster or bullet horns; that's why they cost a lot more, but reproduce very clean highs :)

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I've found the tweets in GK cabs very useful. But I do use them with A GK1001rb Head so the cabs get bi-amped. Using the tweets this way you can dial in or out the tweets as you see fit without raising or lowering woofer volume like most cabs are prone to. GK'S system allows you to tone down the input of tweet (like most cabs)from the back of the cab or you can raise the tweet volume with it's own tweet amp, this gives great flexibility when playing at different volumes where you would turn up the volume normally to get a little more out of you tweets. What I'm saying is most venues it can get fairly loud on stage, but as you get older and play for older people a lot of volume is unnecessary. With GK's system I can play at moderate volume dial my tweets anyway I want and have a crisp sound at any volume with out over exagerating my treble. I don't think that would be possible with a full range cab with tweets. When it comes to tweets a little goes a long way and they are definatly(sp) a must for funk bass players these days.
    YMMV.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good crossovers seem to make a difference as well
    i 2nd the vote for titanium tweets, and ribbon tweeters can be very nice too. of course, you may be one of those players who just doesn't want "that" sound. which is fine. right now i don't have any cabs with tweeters.

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Titanium is the only way to go for bullets/tweets IMHO. Fosters (SWR, etc)=very harsh. You can replace the Foster Fuzz with many other tweets 3-3.5"" Cruise parts Express for starters. Spend the cash and get something good sounding which is the tradmark of ALL your better brands including the Shrodenator, Berginator, etc. If your willing to spend silly stupid money get a JBL 2402 bullet. Done. Just make sure you replace the Cross-over or make sure its all compatible. Or just sell your SWR stuff and buy what you really want. Anything with a Foster horn automatically gets disqualified in my book.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Give Jim Bergantino a call. He'll be happy to help you.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm definately not an engineer, so helpful resources are, well, helpful ;)

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For the record, cabs that I've heard with very nice tweeters:
    Schroeder
    Bergantino
    Epifani
    Bag End
    (haven't heard any EA or Accugroove, but from all the input here on TB, I'd say they have excellent tweeters as well).

14. We play bass....why the hell does anyone need a tweeter? Even the name sounds stupid:)

15. When measured with an oscilloscope, a bass generates harmonics up to 7,500 Hz. This is far higher than nearly all 10" drivers will reach. And certainly far higher than the larger drivers.

The Eminence B102 gets close to 5,500 Hz before it rolls off, but it has a special whizzer cone to create those extended highs.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Another suggestion for Bergantino! :)

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Anyone know what type of tweeters are used in Aguilar's GS series cabinets? How do they compare with titanium tweeters?

I almost never use the tweeter in my GS212, I've always thought it was too harsh-sounding, and it has always been somewhat noisy.

Are there any tweeters that would be a direct replacement for the Aggie one that I might like better?

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I think Aguilar uses the dreaded Foster squawker. Sounds bad=no surprise=Foster. The foster squeakfest requires a 3" mounting hole.
    Most bullet replacements will be about the same size and require no messing around aside from drilling new mounting screws.
    Check Parts Express in the bullet tweeter catagory. You want something that has a recommended cross-over point of 3000-3500-4000 khz. Thats roughly what the Foster is designed for. In my opnion the foster doesn't have a smooth response and accounts for the raw sound.

19. I've got an Avatar 410 NEO that I wanted to do the Peerless tweeter conversion to but when I went to order they were discontinued.I searched through the Parts Express catalog and came up with the Selenium DH200E-E Titanium 75 watt driver(264-225) and Selenium 4"horn(264-306).I ordered the same capacitor and L pad as was suggested for the Peerless tweeter so the crossover point will be just under 3K.The horn is square so I'll have to do a little cutting to make it fit but it looks like an easy install.Both the driver and the horn have a pretty low cutoff so it should work pretty well.The bad part is that this is what I asked my wife for for Cristmas so I won't really get it and install it till then.After I get it in I'll post a review.The driver and horn cost about $45 so it's not too expensive.

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I haven't met many tweeter's I've liked, either blow em or keep them turned off because they sound bad, even in otherwise good sounding cabs. I haven't heard the real top of the line ones, can't afford the cabs, but Ampeg Boogie SWR etc. haven't impressed. I have an old Trace Elliot cab, 10 + 18 + tweeter, and that's the first tweeter I've had and liked, fortunately cause I can't turn it off. Had it apart yesterday and the tweeter is very impressive physically. Huge assembly inside the cab, as heavy as many 10" speakers. I don't know who made it, it's marked Made in UK for Trace Elliot.