1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do used Ric 4003's on eBay cost around the same as a brand new one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djbass28, Jun 20, 2014.

1. djbass28

djbass28

Apr 15, 2014
    In particular I was looking at 4003w's (for fun, not to buy... yet) and they going for around $1,800 new online. Then I checked eBay and they went from $1,500 to 2,100! Can anyone explain this?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Simple. Everybody thinks they cost like $2500 new and a whole bunch of fools pay it.

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    That's about right. Used local shop had a 2 year old 4003 with rusty strings, some even were popped out of the nut and mile High action. They wouldn't go any lower than 1850. Sad thing Is, it actually sold.

4. djbass28

djbass28

Apr 15, 2014
    Wow

5. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Not even close. RIC's backlog is approximately 400 working days. At any given time the closest dealer can be out of stock on a model for up to a year. Also, the price outside of North and South America is about a grand or so more at times, so many leave the US for places where $1500 would be considered a steal. The retail price is closer to $2239.00. Ricks also tend to hold their value better than many other basses.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Bingo. Gotta do your homework

7. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Funny. When I bought mine, our store in our smallish town had 4 new ones for me to choose from and said they regularly have at least that many on hand. Mine was bought the year it was made (2012)

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps if Fender took a page out of Ric's playbook they wouldn't be a quarter billion dollars in debt.

IGotGas and Remyd like this.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Why do used Ric 4003's on eBay cost around the same as a brand new one?

The 4001/4003 bass model is legendary for holding its value.

synaesthesia likes this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    How? By reducing production by 90% and creating over a year of backlog to retail?

MarkoYYZ and pedroims like this.
  11. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    They are close to $4000 new in Australia, and we have been at close to parity with the US$ for a few years now.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I wouldn't say "legendary". Used Ric's have been pricey for a relatively short period of time. Maybe 12 years. Before that, you could buy mint used 4003's for under $500 all day long and twice on Sunday. My first bass was a 4003. It was 4 years old and in almost new condition. Paid $400 out the door with a hardshell case.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Do you think that's how Rickenbacker stays in the black? Really...? :meh:

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    They're aren't Ric dealers in all countries, and it is against Ric dealer policy to ship to a country w/o a dealer. So private individuals unhampered by any Ric sales regulations hope to sell to a buyer in one of those countries where getting a Ric at any price is the only option.

15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Most companies make a bunch of inventory first, hope to sell it to whoever, and then even have to discount or give away what's left in their warehouse to avoid inventory piling up. What they actually take in in revenues may or may not cover their costs.

Ric has already pre-sold over a years worth of inventory at full price, and just has to focus on making the units and getting them out the door.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    IGotGas likes this.
  16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Much of the disdain is that he goes his own way and doesn't give a rat's backside what anyone thinks of the choices.
    It's his family's company after all, and they choose how to run it, no pandering to public opinion, and that seems to get a lot of people upset.

I'd likely do the same in similar circumstances, and as already said, they are making money rather than losing it.
    It also benefits the workers to have a stable employer that won't be laying off in the foreseeable future.
    How is that wrong?

That said, the resale stays high because of lack of supply versus high demand.
    As posted, you could buy Ricks used all day for a few hundred bucks and new ones were plentiful not that long ago.
    Demand has increased and supply can't keep up without going offshore.

Mikaelbass and IGotGas like this.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I always find it funny that so many people with that DON'T own a company have so much advice for people already running a SUCCESSFUL company. They can't do it themselves, but they know what the other guy is doing wrong.

T-Bird, Mikaelbass, IGotGas and 2 others like this.
  18. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Yeah, everyone's an internet expert, no matter the subject.

I'm not saying there is no room for improvement in several areas (from all accounts there certainly appears to be), but they have a vision of where they want the company to go, and just as importantly where they do NOT want the business to go and at least stick to it, and it seems to be working.

Also, many folks don't do their homework.
    They postulate that RIC should do this, do that, without realizing that some of these things have already been tried and failed.
    Only an idiot repeats their mistakes over and over, and Mr. Hall is no idiot, no matter what people may think of him.

They do what makes them guaranteed profit with as little disruption to the normal product line as possible.

IGotGas and lavmonga like this.
  19. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    But they were probably $600 new back then...?

20. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, by being a niche player instead of catering to a larger market. Don't get me wrong, I own basses from both and have no bones to pick. But the business model of one company has almost nothing to do with the other. Are you suggesting Fender stop manufacturing everything they produce less expensive than the American Standard models? Ric doesn't have anything going in the various price points below $1500 ASP. I think suggesting a much larger company with bigger production, distribution and financial challenges taking cues from a smaller, more agile, and less dynamic company is pointless advice.

MarkoYYZ likes this.