1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHy do vintage jazz cost more than vintage pbasses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 4, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Thats what I realize when I check out the classifieds. Theres a gap by quite some margin.

2. Because Jazz basses are better by far.

No, really, I have no idea. There's probably more demand for vintage Jazz basses, but maybe it's something more interesting?

3. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Hate to be so simplistic about it, but this is purely a case of greater demand. Stuff in that end of the market is worth what people will pay for it. People will pay more for vintage jazz basses.

That said, five years ago, people would pay more than they will now for the same axe. It's because fewer people have the kind of cake necessary to get into the game at that level. So, the prices come down.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    for the last 25-30 years vintage jazz basses have always gone for more than vintage p basses. that's just the way that it is.

5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    because 50% of the population is below average, and even average is pretty darn low...

:bag:

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    In the 60's and 70's J bass production was less that Ps. Supply in demand at work here.

7. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    simple...you get what you pay for...

8. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    Don't Jazz basses cost more than a P-bass to begin with?

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm okay with it...

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Well if you are talking about pre CBS you only have 3 years 60-63, 4 if you count 64 transition year. That puts a lot more pre CBS P basses out on the market.

11. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    This. Economics 101.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    just because

13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It must be that extra pickup on those jazzes. A J-bass has 2, a P-bass has 1, obviously the J-bass should cost more! :p

14. They come with one knob more than P basses

:bag:

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    There are fewer vintage Jazz basses, and even for new basses Jazz style basses are more popular than P style.

I'm digging Ps and Rays right now personally. I gigged my 82 Fullerton reissue Precision over New Years and I never had a bass sit so well in the mix.

16. Js seem to cost a little more than Ps in general, all other things equal. Seems like even MIMs are always 50 bucks or so more for Jazzes.

17. Because they are cooler and better.

18. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Just go on Ebay and do a search of vintage Fender basses for a month. You'll see that there are far more P's coming up than J's. However, that's not the whole story - as there are far less Coronados, VI's, and Telecaster basses but they don't go skyrocketing.

A Fender Jazz is just a desirable bass. Not to say the others aren't but the demand, coupled with the limited supply is the answer. Limited supply with the latter three but limited demand; lots of supply for the P and demand.

Although, even now, new Jazzes are slightly more than P's.

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    more wood, more metal, more pickups.

20. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    By God I think he's figured it out...

:ninja:

/commonsenseistingling