Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do we buy expensive amps and cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, Sep 28, 2002.

1. I've played quite a few gigs lately, and the thought just occured to me, that all the money I've used on a good amp and cabs, is somewhat redundant. No matter what equipment you play, the sound the audience hear is the sound of your bass into a PA, through a DI-box. Sometimes you can convince the soundguy to take a lineout from your preamp, but never to mic up your cabs.
    What do you guys think about it? Are we just buying expensive stuff for the rehearsal rooms, and stagesound? Or am I missing out on something here?

:confused:

2. Really depends on where you are playing.
    while playing in Boston the whole band would go through the PA but my Laney was big enough that I filled the room from the stage.

3. True enough. But most soundguys just tend to get you to turn down the volume, so they can control the sound from the board. "Use the monitors instead of your amp" they say. Atleast thats what I've experienced.

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I think we buy expensive amps so if the time comes and the sound guy actually wants to mike your amp it sounds really good. And i find it strange when sound guys wont mike the amp.

5. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    well, i quit doing drugs, so i have to spend all that money on something!:cool:

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

LOL.....My equipment got way better after I gave up blow;) I spend money on equipment because I have to hear me, and I like gigging better when I'm happy with my tone.......at least from a stage standpoint.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Because good gear inspires us to play better. It allows us to hear the nuance, and to give a better performance. Thats' why we persue the TONE.

8. Competent "soundguys" are as hard to come by as competent bassists. Unless I'm in front of thousands of people I simply tell them to take the night off.

9. Believe it or not, our bandmates do care how we sound on stage.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    This is why I spend the money on the best DI I can Get.

Its also one of the factors in my disition to not lug that Tube head around.

AJ

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why do we buy expensive amps and cabs?

Because they sound good.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Why buy expensive amps and cabs??

Peter and Pacman pretty much summed it up.

That, and because I want to and I can.;)

I run 2 lines to the board. One from my bass head's direct out, and one from a mic on a cabinet. This ensures that MY sound is heard through the mains. Oh, and it helps that we have our own soundguy. And we own our own PA, in both bands.

We have played through house PA's with their own soundguys on several occasions, and although they sometimes balk at running 2 lines to the board, they have never argued about sending a line from my bass head to it instead of using one of their direct boxes.

13. You're right guys! The sound onstage is important to make you feel good and play good. And the band DO care. Actually we are trying to find a 'soundguy' (what's the propper word?) for the band, and I must be able to pursuade him to mic up the cab.
    ...and thanks for pumping up the collective bass spirit!!! We can really make us feel good :D

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well...it's definitely NOT because we can easily afford it...

15. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I don't know about you guys but 90% of what I've played throughout my playing 'career' has been jazz in small clubs with either no PA or PA just for mic'ing the acoustic piano and vocals. So, in my case the bass sound the audience heard was solely the sound coming from my amp and nothing else. Bad amp= bad sound. Good amp=good sound. :)

16. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    It's also nice to sound good when rehearsing with the band.

17. Agreed.

I spent over $750 on the various DI and EQ boxes I have (Sadowsky preamp, Sadowsky preamp/DI stompbox, a Sansamp and a Fishman dual parametric). I spent $450 on my amp (currently a small 130 watt Trace Elliot combo).

I use the amp on those rare occasions that the PA only takes vocals. These tend to be 200 watt PAs at small gigs with the drums unmiked and a 60 watt Marshall combo blows down the house. The kind of gig where the guitarist is forbidden to use his Fender pro under the Geneva convention.

18. The gigs we play, the whole band goes through the PA, and the stagesound is restricted to being only stagesound. The guitar amps are pointing across the stage from both sides, and the bass amp must not be heard in the audience. This way the soundguy can control the sound better via the PA, because he has full control over the volume on each instrument. But this doens't mean that I can't mic up the bass as well, which I think I'll do in the future. We just played with an american band (The Czars, check'em out!) and they told us that the PA situation here in europe is much better than in the US, so maybe in a way I'm fortunate to live were there normally are good PA's. We normally play for 100-200 people, and are 2 guitars, keyboard, drums, bass and 2 vocals, so it's pretty high volume.

19. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'll just have to repeat a lot of the wisdom above...

Agree on the stage sound, I want to hear myself with good sound to feel confident when I play, and the drummer as well as other band members need to hear the bass clearly (well, at least I like to think so :)) to lock in. We also try to have all amps pointed in towards us from the sides or front corners of the stage, for better monitoring and to keep the volume down. But at rehearsals and small gigs the bass amp supplies some or all of the sound, so it must sound good for that reason as well.

Then there is the pure joy of nice stuff, of course... :)

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because if they hear how an Eden 210XST sounds with a good mic, they wont wanna run direct.

Oh and, "my" sound is a combination of my playing and my gear. I want that when Im on stage.

Oh and the studio.

Peace
    Nick