Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why do we need this information?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 10, 2004.

1. Minority children are more likely to be hurt in falls from buildings than white children, according to a study by researchers at Columbia University Medical Center.

But children in New York City are less likely than those in other places to be hurt in falls, even though more than half the city's residents live in buildings with 10 or more units, the study found.

The injury rates for building falls among children in New York City are close to half the national average, according to the report, which appears in the May 2004 issue of the journal Applied Environmental Science and Public Health.

The study attributed the lower rate in the city to mandatory window guards, which the city has required in apartments where young children live since 1976. New York is the only large city in the country to enact such window guard legislation, the study said.

Young Latino and black children were twice as likely to be seriously hurt in a fall from a building than white children, the study found.

It also found that children in low-income ZIP codes were more likely than those in more affluent neighborhoods to suffer injuries in a fall from a building.

The report found peaks in injuries from falls during warmer months, when families — especially those who can't afford air conditioning — are more likely to open their windows.

The study was conducted using hospital discharge data from New York state and a database of admissions data from 27 states.

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    oh :(

i was hoping that the study was conducted by throwing a multi-ethnic group of children off of a building.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is all just further proof of my theory...gravity is racist.

brad cook

4. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
  5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    All we need to do now is find someone to blame for all this!!!

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    You know those Puerto Ricans....
    They can fly
    (Anyone know where this is from)

Anyway, I cant believe they wasted their time on this crap, everyone knows white children are actually made of some hybrid cross between cotton and rubber.

EDIT: Crubber, or Rotton(for you Frenchies)

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Why do we need this information? Let me explain why. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that you are white. Okay, now let's say you marry a Latino woman (Latina woman?) Oh, bah - let's make her Chinese. Okay, so you are white and you have a Chinese wife. Now you two start a family. The first child takes after her mother, so she is Chinese. The second child takes after you and is white. So you now have… Okay, wait - my friends here are telling me that this is not at all how it works. Let's start over. You and your wife adopt 3 children, all of who come from different places. Well, it may be that all three where born in the continental United States and really they need not even come from different orphanages or adoption agencies, it is however very important for the sake of this illustration that we assume they are of different nationalities - well not really, but what is important is that their parents all came from different countries. Yes, that should work. So you adopt a Caucasian child, a Hispanic child and an Asian child. Now, you need something from the 10th floor and there just might be a window open up there - so which child do you send? Now, do you see why this was a very important study?

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    the asian one?

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Actually, we still need more information. You must decide if you want to keep all of the kids, or if there is one that you wouldn't mind something hapenning to. Beyond that, we need to know how much each child earned last year. Do not send the low income child or any that you really wish to keep. QED.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Theory #1: White people have less melotonin in their skin, which makes them lighter. They just kind of float as they are falling.

Theory #2: Affluent white kids spend too much time indoors playing video games their parents bought for them, making them fatter than darker, poorer kids, who ACTUALLY GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY. The fat cushions the fall.

11. we need to do further experiments.
    someone, bring me some racially diverse children.

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    oh my...those are Strange theories :p ...but maybe you've solved this thing afterall? :hyper:

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :smug: :D

14. see... that's why benny odd shouldn't use his real name. the puns are getting bad. sorry tex.

15. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    no problem. back to the hole... :bag:

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm paying too much taxes. I'm pretty sure. :)

17. i'm gonna start stealing the smiley's from this other board i hit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i hope these work.

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's elementary, my dear TxBass.

[​IMG]

20. we need some sort of smiley that represents "ba da bing" or somehow come up with a "rimshot smiley" how about this one: [​IMG]