1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why do white people clap on the 1 & 3 ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Why is it that so many white folks clap on the "off" beats?

I was just watching John Mellencamp on the early show this morning. I can't tell you how many white folks I saw in the audience clapping along on the first and third beats of each measure. I mean, seriously, Mellencamp's tunes have a strong backbeat that can't be missed. Why do folks lock on to the 1 and 3?

:confused: :eyebrow:

2. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    DNA

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    believe me, i have seen plenty of non-whites clapping on 1 and 3 as well as the up of 1 and the 4th sixteenth of of 3

LOL

there are plenty that don't have groove.

4. While on a church mission in Mexico I noticed that people clapped on the 1, 2, 3 & 4. I think that really helped a lot of us 'white folk'. :)

Edit: On topic, I think it's more 'old folk' than 'white folk'. I'm both, btw, so I'm allowed to comment. :D

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Believe me, it ain't just white folks. Lack of rhythm does not discriminate!

6. White folks think everything's a waltz.

7. So it's not..?
    Dang it...
    :atoz:

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    LOL, that explains a lot.

9. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Not that this particularly offends me, but I think if the conversation was focussed the other way round (why do black people....), it'd be taken a LOT more seriously and would probably cause a lot of trouble.

It makes no difference whether someones black, white, yellow, orange, pink with yellow spots or whatever, some people got it, some don't!

10. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    because 2 and 4 is so cliche'. :D

Actually, If we all clapped on 1 and 3 we would know where 1 was all the time. This will make us all better bass players. :)

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's because our calf muscles are shorter.

12. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Toronto audiences in general, in my experience, have no rhythm. It's pretty damned funny, if not utterly depressing...

13. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC

True enough. We should not be poking fun at the arrhythmic, it might throw them off.

14. Some songs are MEANT to be clapped along to on the 1 and 3. Rootsy country music, cajun stuff, ho downs, things like that.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Once upon a time, a Jazz Corner (Jazz website) poster noted how the Japanese clapped on "1" & "3"...to be honest, I think I noticed that on some live recordings.
    What's the big deal? If it's consistent...is it a "lack of rhythm"?

16. It was like that in church growing up.

We had a southern baptist group come to visit and they clapped on 2 and 4. You could have cut the tension with a knife.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Is there a writen law that states you should clap on 2 & 4 ?

18. SHE'LL BE COMIN' ROUND THE MOUNTAIN WHEN SHE COMES...
    :cool:

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You think that's bad? I've tried teaching a few of my fellow white people at church how to play a tambourine on the upbeats of 1, 2, 3 & 4. Tried working out a blues shuffle with a piano player who had apparently never played anything syncopated before.

It's a lost cause: they have no sense of groove whatsoever. Too much classical music and opera, not enough R&B and gospel.

Fuggedaboudit! :rollno:

MM

20. I have a drummer friend that will always clap on the 2&4 and I sit/stand beside him on purpose and clap on the 1&3 to drive him nuts. It is really funny. When not doing that, I always clap on the accents, whenever they are.

lowsound

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.