Why do women dress the way they do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 13, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is my situation....I go to Radio Shack tonight to buy some battery clips. As I walk in, I see this BEAUTIFUL woman, about 22 years old. She is dressed very...uhh...provocatively. She has on those low rise hip hugger pants, tight as can be, showing off the thong below. She also has on a very low cut blouse leaving little to the imagination. Bein a guy, I take a couple glances as I walk by.

As I am looking for what I am after, she approaches me and asks if I need some help finding something. I could NOT believe she works there. She finds what I am after, and bends over to get it for me. She bends over right in front of me, revealing more than I should have seen in this situation. I had to move to the side so she could bend over, and she knew it. Then she looks over her shoulder up to me to make sure she was holding what I wanted. I confirmed with a "uh-huh".

I got no issues with women wanting to wear whatever they want. I wasn't mad, upset, or felt she was wrong. People wear what they want, and that is fine by me. But why in the heck would a woman dress like that who works at a Radio Shack?

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Maybe she has a thing for someone who can put together their own circuit boards?
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    She likes it. Why complain?
  4. ...that she didn't mind you looking. Some ladies dress in very revealing clothes, then get mad when men look at them. It's not like us guys can really help it sometimes.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah, I liked it too. I'm not complaining either. It just strikes me as odd that she would dress that way at a Radio Shack. I mean, come on, nerds and geeks are your average customer all day long. Not often that studly bass players come in looking for battery clips. :) hehehe

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's the point. She dresses like that because she likes it and feels good in it. Not because of you (or the customers), at least not in the first place.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I feel good in my underwear, but I don't wear them to Burger King. :)

JMX...maybe you don't know what Radio Shack is. They sell low price, lower quality electronics. Radio Shack would be the last place a person would think to find a hottie like her. The absolutely last place to find a hottie dressed the way she was.

I understand the whole "it feels good, I like it" mentality. I don't think she was out of line either. It just seemed like an outfit for a club, young people clothing store, hot date, that type of stuff. I dunno, maybe she was going to one of those places right after work?

I am just trying to understand what her thought process was as she was getting dressed, or undressed, to go work around a bunch of geeks at a cheesy electronics store.

8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It would be an injustice to many women to generalize on why some women dress in a provocative manner. In this case perhaps she feels that dressing this way will help her make a sale or something. Or maybe she gets her feeling of self-worth from people staring at her or people feeling that she's attractive. Maybe that's all she knows...her mother could have dressed like that all the time and dressed her like that so she thinks that's normal and appropriate for work. Maybe she's hoping to meet the next Bill Gates. Maybe she's hoping beyond hope that I'll walk in the store some day and she wants to impress me. You could always go back and see if she wants to discuss it over dinner.

brad cook
  9. Tell her to go work at Raisans.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Mission accomplished. She wanted to show you her goodies. You wanted to see her goodies. No problem. She probably enjoys frustrating the regular Radio Shack geek customer.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    sorry, i don't buy that one anymore. they don't get up and dress like that when they're at home, sick, or when they're not going to be around a bunch of people. if a woman says "i dress like that because it makes ME feel good", my translation is "i dress like that cuz i totally dig the attention. even if i act as if i don't." or "lots of attention from the opposite sex makes me feel good".

i'm not saying i think this is bad either. i like to believe a lot of them do it for fun. if i were a female and had a wonderful body, i don't think there'd be any place i'd love flaunting it more than in a radio shack :D . seems relatively safe, and i think it's kinda funny given the clientelle she's most likely to run into there.

the only problem i have with people dressing like you describe is when they complain endlessly about guys bothering them. "i have a right to dress any way i want!" yes, you undoubteldy do, but if know what you get from wearing certain things, and you don't like it - uhh duhh!! wear something else?

last note. in my experience women who go out of their way to attract lots and lots of (that kind of) attention need way more attention than what this boy is able or willing to give. they are trouble for me.

like, if britney spears came onto me - no way man. i'd tell her to go find some other jerky loser. no way, not this guy.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget Radio Shack salespeople are on commission. You *did* spend money, right? Mission accomplished.
  13. Hey , she could have asked you to help her on a ladder instead. :)
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Wouldn't that be insane if there were a parallel universe somewhere in which people wore their drawers as normal everyday attire?

I could write a sci-fi book about that. :D
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

well duh :D

no shirt. no shoes. no service.

yeesh :p
  16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    What cracks me up is women who dress provocatively and then give you a dirty look for looking at them!

Well, if you didn't want to be stared at, DONT DRESS LIKE THAT!!

It's women who dress like this wonder why they are stalked, or worse!
  17. My point exactly.
  18. I'll quote Bill Maher here, "It's a great country when you haven't even talk to a woman yet, and your one inch from p****"
  19. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Pics? :D