1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you always see two eventide H9 on a board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Although I have seen the rogue photo of a board with just one lonely H9, why is it that everyone who has an H9 has a pair?

Spare me the "cause they are awesome" replies...is there some *thing* you can only do w a pair that has most sporting doubles?

Educate me please

Low Down Brown likes this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Well they are awesome, sorry.

I assume you know you can run only one algorithm at a time, certainly a lot of people are going to want to run 2+ of the H9s many, many algorithms.

Also if you get a Max plus a Core you get all the algorithms on both, so there is a certain cost efficiency to that. I think some people may get the second to justify their investment even if they could get by with one. (*looks in mirror*)

I have two, infrequently I use two together, but I do in fact do that from time to time. Also, I use both in pre/post routing mode, so they are potentially at four different places in my chain. While both have all algorithms, I largely use different presets on them.

BrentSimons and cosmicevan like this.
  3. Some people have money to burn, you could just as well ask why would anyone have 3 one of a kind basses? Beautiful by the way.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Touché

Please don’t take the intent of my post in the wrong way...I try my best to never judge others. And as you noticed, I like to throw whatever disposable income I can at my hobbies and interests, so who would I be to judge on excess anyway?

I am an effects freak and missed the H9 train yet I see so many on boards and almost always 2 of them...but seems like @Adamixoye solved the mystery for me, unless there are other reasons

5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I guess I’m an H9 unicorn or something. Only the one H9 Max on my board. I seldom need more than one effect.

IMG_2751.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    r10, BrentSimons, Robertron and 2 others like this.
  6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I was going to add in my earlier post that while I agree a LOT of boards seem to have 2 or occasionally 3 H9s, I don't know that just one is terribly rare. I've seen several with only one.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  7. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    There aren’t any other pedals I can think of that you see 2 of on a board at all.

8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I've seen it before but I don't have a specific example; however, you are correct that it's very much an H9 phenomenon far more than any other pedal.

cosmicevan likes this.
  9. I have two...too. I have mine sandwiched between a Strymon Mobius. My first H9 has most of my warbly, pitch effects that I want to run through other effects (like modulation). My 2nd H9 is for reverbs, delays, EQ's and the new Hotsawz synths. My primary H9 is always stuck for patch bays (only 99) by my 2nd unit has far more spare space (only using 64 patches at the moment). So I try out sounds on my 2nd H9, which also happens to be the last pedal in my chain.

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I had an H9 and it had a few sounds that I liked, but wasn't really worth the overall cost and real estate. The Line 6 HX Stomp is my jam now. That does everything I want with a much better interface.

r10 and Frellin Smesh like this.
  11. I've seen few boards here with two LS-2. And Janek Gwizdala is notorious for touring with two Ditto loopers. But yes, it's rare. Probably it's more common on guitar boards, particularly with delays. One of the guys from Minus The Bear used to have four (4) Line 6 delay/loopers on his board at some point :jawdrop:

Adamixoye likes this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Bought during a BOGO offer?

tedious1 likes this.
  13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    If you max out an H9 (buy all the algorithms and unlock any future ones) it applies across the board to any other H9s you may have on your account. So most people get at least 2 as it’s a good way to maximize your investment.

Migopop and cosmicevan like this.
  14. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    If you're watching rig rundowns of famous and rich musicians who play live to 1000+ people every night and can afford and/or get endorsed by Eventide, sure. If you actually looked at average musician's boards, you would see a lot more with just one.

But the reason you might see 2 (other than "why not?" if you can afford it or get comped) when you don't see that with other pedals, is because it does a lot of different things, but only one (basically) at a time, which is an uncommon format (Line 6 M5 is another similar one, but not really on the same level). So rather than having multiple modulation pedals or multiple delays or reverbs or whatever, you get an H9 to cover a particular task (modulations and filters maybe), and then you get another one to cover another particular task (reverbs and delays, etc...).

It would make sense if they just made a model that had 2 or 3 slots and a better user interface, and maybe a loop that you can stick where you want in the signal chain. But they probably figure that something like that would end up being so expensive that very few people would actually buy them, and the people that want multiple H9 effects at once just buy multiple H9s and call it a day.

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    He said it once before but it bears repeating now.

I bought an H9Max, and then (months later) found a good deal on an H9 Core, since it could upgrade to a Max for "free."

LeonD, GMC and cosmicevan like this.
  16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

When I was using H9's, above is what happened to me.

I rarely use more than a couple of effects at a time when playing bass. And the H9 effects are so good, it made sense to have two. For years my pedal board consisted of a dirt pedal and two H9s.

17. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I use 3 H9s and they are hooked up to a DMC-4 so I can use them in any order I want. Also easy preset, looper and special switch access. Got all three throughout a couple months patiently waiting.

18. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I use one H9 for dirt, modulation, synth (thank you, hotsawz), pitch, and occasionally delay. The other is almost exclusively for Delay, Reverb, and Undulator sounds. Sometimes I use one for pitch and then put some chorus/flange with the other...

19. MAYBE TO SHOW OFF, SO THEY CAN BE COOL.

azwipe and sillyfabe like this.
  20. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    ^Oh right, that too