1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you cover up the serial number on instruments for sale?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Feb 27, 2008.

1. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    After looking at old basses for sale for quite some time now i noticed that the serial numbers are almost always covered up, at least the last digits.
    So i've done this myself on a bass i'm selling right now.
    I figued it had something to do with people seeing the number and claiming that it's their bass or something.

Could someone plz explain?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You answered your own question......

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Its just like your social security number. If the bass has a bank account...well it just makes it that much easier for a thief to pretend to be that bass and get its money.

Seriously though, ask any of those guys for the serial number to verify its manufacture date, etc. and see how long it takes for them to give it to you. I'm guessing about two seconds.:confused:

4. Hi.

I have only done that on Gibsons and only to the last three numbers. Covering the other ones is pointless.

The lost headstock syndrome is rather bad, so specially 71 to 75 legit serial numbers are somewhat copied if seen somewhere. Also a upper end Tokai with fake Gibson logo and a real serial number sells in a snap.

71 to 75 as there was no system to identify the instruments.

I have one early 70's SG with a missing headstock and no way to prove the authenticity. Not that it matters that much anyway, that axe is still in the project state it's been for the last 5 years as there doesn't seem to be too many roller Gibson/Bigsby bridges floating around. And the early 70's was nearly as bad a period to Gibsons as was the mid 90's.

Regards
    Sam

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    In simple terms, it prevents scammers from having a legitimate S/N for a specific make and model instrument, which will add credibility to their scam...

6. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Thanks to everybody. Some people get all worked up about that i don't wanna give out the last digits of my '77 Fender. But now i know what exactly to tell them!

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Give it to me or I'll hack into your account and run my scam from there?:eyebrow:

8. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark

Not again!!!!:spit:

;)