Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do you guys like

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I was just wondering what you guys use for strings, I want to hear what brand, gauge, and why they're you fav. I personally like Dean Markley Blue Steel Med-Lit 45-105(120 B string). They sound really good and I love the way they play.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Headed basses: Fender 9050M flats. Headless: Status Graphite double-ball flats. ABG: Labella black nylon tapes.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    DR Lo-Rider SS .45-.125 on my fretted 5
    DR Hi Beam .30-.125 on my fretless 6
    D'Addario Helicore pizz series on my upright

i may try fatbeams on the fretless one of these days, or sunbeams, or a little lighter set, but only for fingerboard wear concerns.

the lo-riders are never leaving my ss2, unless replaced by another set of lo-riders. they are truly the bestest for that bass.

4. Jazz 77, 45-105, because they have a really wicked tone that sounds like how cool nestea tastes.:rolleyes: :cool: :D

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    D'Addario Slowounds. .045" to .100"
    Theyre nice and warm sounding for a roundwound.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Fodera Monarch 4 string with Fodera strings 40-95

7. BlindSide

BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    I use Labella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my 5 string.

Very solid and even sound all across the spectrum. The feel of flatwound. Warm tone, but brighter than flatwounds (as they are roundwounds but wrapped with Nylon tape).

I can get just about any tone I need...from an earthy, almost double bass sound to a bright slap. Part of that is my bass, part of it's me. I play in a band that requires some different sounds and I like these strings for their versatility.

Plus I haven't changed them in over a year. I haven't even cleaned them in over a year and they still sound as good as the day I put them on (actually I like them more now) and they still stay in tune!!!

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel (30-128) for electric, Pirastro Obligato or D'Addario Helicore Orchestra Medium for upright.

9. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I'll definitely chime in on the Labella tapewounds. I used them for a while and really liked `em.

Lately, however, I've been using TI Powerbass and just loving them. They are lighter gauge than the tapewounds and they just have such a cool feel to them - nice and flexible. Tuning is also different - they tend to get and stay in tune easier.

I've had this pair on there for only 6 months, so, it's still too early to comment on length of life, but, they still sound and feel great.

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
  11. DR Fat beams MM-130
    Nice, clean, articulate low end with the right amount of punch. It will give an inexpensive bass the feel of a much more expensive one.

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Rotosound Jazz 77s. Thumbee! ..and tight.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

LOL!!!! ONLY six months?! that's EARLY?! wow, how long do you normally leave strings on for?

i change every 2 months tops.

14. Since 1976, it has been Roto Sound (roundwounds) now called "Swing" rounds...LOL...but they still KIC AZZ :rolleyes:

15. Elixir PolyWebs
    with .050 G string.

They feel good.
    Rather then eating frets, they polish.

Current set has been on for 8 months.

16. My faves include:

SIT Powerwounds-They're very affordable ( especially at www.juststrings.com ) and compare favorably to DRs IMHO (including in playability). I may try SIT Taperwounds on my Carvin LB75 sometime.

DR Sunbeams-Nice strings that sound great.

DR Lo-Riders Nickel-Plated-Also nice strings with a bit more low end than the Sunbeams and a little more stiffness (tension?) probably due to the hex core.

I believe the Powerwounds actually are a nice mix between the Sunbeams and NP Lo-Riders because they have nice low end and high end, but YMMV.:)

17. Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee gauge (.47-107 four string, .47-127 on the 5)

To me they just have the most attack and in your face sound that I have found, plus they are not too heavy and not too light.

Mike Linkletter
    The Thirteenth Hour

18. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    hehehe

Well, I've heard some say that these are good for 12-18 months, so, that's where the only came in.

I tend to change mine when they don't stay in tune so well.

19. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    D'Addario XL's on my Kingston. The two pack for under 30 USD was a risk, but I ended up liking them. I prefer the original MTD strings, though.