Why do you like Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 22, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have finally had the chance to play a Lakland. it was a blue American 55, two words: BEST BASS i have ever played. so i surfed their website and started looking closely at their instruments. to me they have the perfect lineup, a new instrument : the 55, the P, the J, the scheff that is really interesting and that wonderful looking hollow body bass designed with Mr. Tobias. plus the skyline could be a great value!

i'd love to have a couple of laklands, i'd choose:
    Skyline 55-02 in 3 tone sunburst
    Hollowbody in green
    Joe Osborn in 3 tone sunburst
    and a Scheff
    in a flashy colour

these guys have great ideas and i have no money!!
    so, let me know why you decided to buy a Lakland? do you like the Lakland more than the Sadowsky? share your ideas guys!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Lakland because:

1. They sound bitchen.
    2. They look bitchen.
    3. They are well-assembled.
    4. They rule.

3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    1) because my skyline 55-01 kicks butt...
    2) because when I call them, Dan Lakin has always patiently answered all my dumb questions
    3) because, once again, they kick butt...
    4) because mine is in Chicago as we speak having the upgraded preamp installed in mine...
    5) because it looks killer
    6) because I really doubt there is a better deal on the market right now than a Skyline.

I really dig the Inca silver...

4. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I like mine because it sounds great, is easy on the back, and has the best action (low) that I've ever played. Very versatile, tone-wise, and it looks cool.
  5. - playability.
    - variety of usable tones.
    - well balanced when playing standing up, with a strap.
    - light.
    - looks great.
    - tight 'B' string.
    - great customer service (most of the time).

Not necessarily in that order.;)
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    is it bad that i don't like them? is something wrong with me?

i think the tone is OK...but nothing special.
    the neck doesn't feel right to me (then again i'm used to warwick 5'ers)
    without the quilt top they're not much to look at

but again - i've been playing warwicks as a main bass for 4 years straight, so i'm used to things a certain way.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Nahh...it's ok....I don't care for Warwicks myself. It's all about personal taste. I can see why someone who's into neck-through, slim-shaped basses wouldn't care for Laklands and vice versa. That's a pretty apples/oranges comparison.

I like Laklands because the 55 series design fits me just right, and I like the combo of features...namely, semi-traditional design with modern tone shaping.
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    As for why I chose a Lakland instead of a Sadowsky (which would be my next choice).... Used Laklands are great deals, whereas Sadowskys remain high-priced. I also don't care for the Sadowsky headstock and body shapes...too "Fendery".
  9. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Because Gard was a very bad boy. He put it in my hands and said "Play this". Bad idea. I bought it that day.

Seriously, it has that fretless "Mwwwwaaaahhhh" that I was looking for, and the action gets down to nothing. I play that thing 90% of the time now.
  10. I like mine cause I got it at a great price (just barely into four digit territory) and it has a really nice neck profile. Mine's a 4-94 deluxe. I had a 55-01 but I didn't like the neck on that one--a little too thick and wide for me as far as five string necks go. But this 4-94...I am very thankful to be its owner.
  11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Everytime I pick mine up, they just feel right... They're comfortable and they play and sound great.. Everyone I've picked up has always felt good.. Customer service is also top notch... When you call, John or Dan might pick up or they'll return your call in a reasonable amount of time... Steven...
  12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I like the traditional looks and modern features of my Lakland basses. The tone always sounds right on the gig and my basses are a joy to play. The shape of Lakland necks is really comfortable to play. My 55-94 is the lightest electric bass I own.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    because they are just about perfect for every style of music- record like a dream- and just have a very cool vibe-
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Curses to all of you!! I've been trying to avoid this kind of exposure to Laklands for a while now! Ahh!! Must...hold...back! NOOOOOO!!!!
    :D :D
  15. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Great B string
    Great customer service - Dan & John reply my e-mails promptly and patiently.

I have the 55-94 Deluxe.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm a spoiled brat, I have both. I have a D55-63 Lakland and a Sadowsky Vintage 5. My favorite is definatly the Sadowsky. The Sadowsky plays easier probably by virtue of the 34" scale and the tone is much clearer. The preamp is much more powerful, too. I really like the plain-jane looks and body shape of my Sadowsky, too.

BUT the Lakland has it's place, that's why I've only briefly thought about selling it. It's a very beautiful bass with the nice subtle quilt and the cherry sunburst. It records very nicely, it seems a bit less prone to picking up line noise and I really like the boost/cut of the Bartolini preamp. I also like having the mids eq knob which I do use much more frequently than the bass or treble tone knobs. Dan Lakin seems to be a real nice guy and up there in the "great-guy-to-deal-with" category like Roger Sadowsky.

I really wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Lakland but if I had to make the choice between the two the Sadowsky would be it.;)
  17. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

oh.. sorry..

18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh, and by the way, my avatar, at the left is my Lakland. :)

19. Yeah, what Adrian said those are the reasons I like Laklands. :D
  20. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Forgot something yesturday. Another thing that sold me on the 55-94 deluxe was the fact that all five strings can be strung through the body. With my bass strung like that, the sustain is amazing. Turn it all the way up, and it will ring for days.