Why do you like your fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Nov 7, 2005.

Reasoning for FB preference

Poll closed Nov 14, 2005.
  1. Sound

15 vote(s)
  2. Feel

44 vote(s)
  3. Other

15 vote(s)
  4. Look

3 vote(s)
  5. Sound, Feel, and Look

18 vote(s)
  6. None of the above

0 vote(s)
  7. Carrots

4 vote(s)
  1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I think this is basses, but anyways...

Well, i always thought i liked the sound of a maple more than a rosewood, until i realized that there is just something about maple that doesnt do it for me. I find that the sound difference is negligible when it comes to the feel of the board on my fingers

Thoughts? Opinions? Share! And if you choose other, say what it is.
  2. I don't pay attention to the fretboard that often, but mine looks hecka cool. (Equalateral triangles pearl inlayed in the place of dots on the appropriate frets; two for the octaves). I think its rosewood btw too. (It's a very dark brown).
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't really care. Rosewood, Maple I can't really hear that much of a difference after my sound is tweaked by my bass, my amp and my cab. Right now my number 1 bass has a wenge board, and the bass is quite quick and responsive as is the wenge reputation, but I'm still not sure it's not just the bass' design.

I don't 'feel' the fretboard while I'm playing, so that doesn't figure in either.

For me it's about looks. Different boards look great on different basses.
  4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Maple all the way.
  5. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm a rosewood fan.
  6. I like rosewood too. A bit mellower than maple. Depends on the bass....

OT, sorry....

Shearstown, are you actually in Shearstown, CB?
  7. DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I like my bird's eye maple neck and fretboard. I love the look, feel and sound. It's just my preference. I don't have a problem with rosewood or ebony fretboards. I just like maple for me
  8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

To me, Fretboards are something you feel more than hear and I have very specific likes, for instance Ebony feels, sounds and looks the best to me but more importantly I much prefer the 7.25" radius to the more common "flatter" boards found today. Also I need the edges of the board to be radiused for a comfortable feel.

9. i said other, because i find looks important. of course, maple boards generally fit the way i want to sound, so it works out!
  10. I like mine for the feel. Its fast and has a slim neck for my big hands!
  11. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I can't really tell much difference in sound, and there are so many extraneous factors that it's impossible for me to really come to any conclusions of which wood I prefer for the fingerboard in terms of sound. I like the look of my Pao Ferro board. For a fretless, I'm mainly concerned with durability and smoothness.
  12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    crap, shouldve included looks.

hey, this is the poll on the home page! Go team Grug! :bag:
  13. its fretless rosewood :D

need i say more?
  14. oxcartdays3030

Nov 7, 2005
    For those of you that prefer the sound of a certain woods, can you please explain what the difference is? I'm not being confrontational I really just don't know.
  15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sound and feel! maple with black blocks and binding for teh win!

edit : voted Sound, Feel, and Look
  16. I think it is partially the feel; I sat in GC playing a bunch of basses one day and noticed the differences between "wide" vs. "narrow", and then some seemed really flat, compared to some that were a bit curved across the board. I know that the fret hights were different, too. There's a definite "feel" to a fret board that is essential to ease of playing, at least for me.

I'll absolutely agree about the "looks", though! I've seen some beautiful wood boards on this site and in the stores!
    +1 on that!
  17. oxcartdays3030

Nov 7, 2005
    Thanks for the link FretlessFreak. I'm just wondering how the difference in woods can have that much of an effect on sound when compared to differences in pickups and amps. I can see if it was an acoustic instrument.
  18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i've only had one bass that had a maple neck, out of like, 9 basses..
    so maybe its just an acquired taste for me atleast...

but it could also be the look.........

19. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I own some with rosewood, some with maple and some with ebony, more rosewood ones than the other two though. I really haven't found any type of fingerboard wood that I dislike.