1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do you love single cut basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Sep 16, 2017.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've never owned one myself but I do love the looks of them. Most of the ones I've seen are made from gorgeous cuts of wood or have a beautiful veneer, and the contours of the body are just easy on the eyes. What I'd like is to hear from ppl who play them regularly... What is it about singlecuts that you love or prefer over a double cut bass? Or conversely, what is it that annoys you about them?

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I have to admit, I don't like the look and when I have played them, I feel like the body of the bass is in my way when I go up above the 12th fret.

Gluvhand likes this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Shortest thread ever.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My first bass in the 60's was a single cut, a Framus Star Bass. Not the best bass, even back then, but a good one to learn on. I have not played another since but if they're good for Anthony Jackson they'll always be good for me.

If I could find a light one, my next bass could easily be an SC (some are very pretty like the Rob Allen Deep, Human Base - The Base).

Anyway, I'm almost out of ambition on the bass owning front. I've already sold better basses than I ever thought I'd own but never say never.

fender68 likes this.
  5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

At first i didn't take to the whale hump style single cut (I don't mean that as derogatory, just descriptive, and to also separate it from the Gibson/Les Paul/Telecaster styles), but the more I looked at it, the more it grew on me. I plan in the near future to modify a bass uke into a whale hump single cut.

Rondo 22-33 natural 800.
    Rondo 22-33 burl whale hump 800.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Other than Les Paul shaped bodies I hate how single cuts look. Now, there's also another source of rejection, probably prejudice (or experience) related, I've played mostly rock music thru' my life and most (if not all) singlecuts I've heard/played were the boutique kind, which sound totally generic and weak to my liking and needs.

7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I don't love them, but I'm starting to soften on the concept. It I could afford one of the Sadowsky single-cuts, I'd be all over it in a second.

sadowsky single cut.

8. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I use the upper horn as a handle on my bass, can't do that on a singlecut.

Really, it's all about personal taste! It's like asking, "Why do you love sunburst basses?"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    dabbler likes this.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When I saw a photo of the Ibanez BTB686sc Terra Firma, I instantly added this bass to my mental GAS list. I did not know why, but I wanted one. About half a year later, I went into a music store to A/B two cabs I was interested in. They had one of the Ibanez whales hanging there. Long story short, I left the store with that bass.
    I've never shed a thought about the fact that this model comes with double cut as well, which should be a lot lighter on the shoulder. I wanted this one. It's gorgeous.
    My guess is that with a single cut, either you get it or you don't.
    And the folks that need to justify having one, I suppose there is some benefit from that extra mass you carry. The side of the neck carrying the lower strings are attached to more body, that has to bring sustain or something :)

10. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    69LPB.
    18682_Used_RD_ARTIST_Bass_72228121_a.

raal and Mark76 like this.
  11. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I disliked the design until I acquired this bass. Aside from the stunning beauty, the neck stability and sustain are unparalleled. It weighs just over nine pounds.

Attached Files:

aldaa, asands, 2cooltoolz and 2 others like this.
  12. Years ago I bought a Wishbass lobe out of curiousity. I love the shape but was curious about the ergonomics of the single cut. I have noticed that my thumb naturally drops on the back of the neck as I move into the higher register and the design of the body does not interfere with my hand. Not at all sure if the single cut adds to the resonance or sound of the instrument in any way. Just for fun I'll ask Steve Wishnevsky's opinion....

gebass6, interp and mikewalker like this.
  13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I don't understand this.
    In the way of what?

On a single cut there is a cutout on the side of the bass where your hand frets above the twelfth fret.
    How does the uncut side affect your fretting up there?

RBrownBass likes this.
  14. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I absolutely love the looks of them but they just don't feel right to me in the upper registers. The "horn" really gets in the way. I've had three, one of them a custom build to my specs. I even ended up selling the custom build because I couldn't handle it.

15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    So...why did you bother to respond to a thread that asks why you love single cut basses?

16. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I never really liked the look until I saw this one.

IMG_3173.JPG

FugaziBomb, Bourbongangster and eJake like this.
  17. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Why do you LOVE single cut basses?

There are certain styles of basses that seem to exude an air of sophistication.
    Some call this "snooty"
    I for one don't.
    Stradi.

18. uncleSausageNek

uncleSausageNek Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    image. Here's mine. It has a great balance and I think it looks awesome. It's tuned E-C. i use the deep cuttaway for access to higher notes when comping chords and soloing. In my trios (mostly bass, sax, drums or bass, guitar, drums - my upright gets most of the piano trios) I play about 1/3 of the heads and close to 1/2 the solos. Upper register sounds just beautiful. Having access to use the upper registers allows for lots of diversity in play. Keep some low, some stay higher, and most use the whole neck. This one plays better than anything I have put my hands on yet. Slaps well too. My ric and ibanez get almost no play time since this one followed me home. I'm not against the traditional double cut. Guess I mostly like being a little different.

19. Steve Wishnevsky got back to me about this. He believes the "shorter neck" adds stiffness, which may contribute to sustain. I have 4, 5 and 6 string Wishbass Lobes. They are single cut, neck through, string through basses. There is something to the design....

20. question to owners, does the 'mass in center' help in balancing? I;m not g(b)assing for one, and have never strapped one on and am curious.