Why do you need those tones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just got to thinking about how I like to have a Jazz Bass and Music Man as my two favorite types of basses. I also like having some sort of P-bass and soap bar modern bass. Having said all of that, my one gig is playing at my church, and those folks honestly don’t care what I play. They just want me to stay awake and minimize bad notes. Why not drastically cut back? The Geddy will always stay because I always wanted a Seventies Jazz, and the price of USA Geddy is only going to increase over time. Beyond that, I could keep a fretless and the SBMM my wife gave me. When I get my MTD Super 5 Kingston, that could be it because only in my dreams is someone calling to do a gig with a P-bass with flats, or I will be called in to cover for Freddie Washington on a Ken Smith.

Having said that, it would be hard to get rid of my USA SUB Sterling given what new USA made Music Basses cost, and my SB5000 actually gets a Seventies tone that I like a lot more than my Geddy Lee for when I want to pretend I am Marcus Miller. The Geddy has a lot of mids for a Jazz and it is really good for sounding Geddy :)bored:.) Maybe I should sell the Geddy since it will get more money than the Carvin and SUB combined?

The bottom line is that some stuff needs to go.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

We all have our fantasies. Some are more expensive than others. My Thunderbird habit is in remission for the moment, and even in full bloom, it was a lot cheaper than, say, golf. Fortunately for space and cash, I am now pretty happy with what I have and might let one or two go.

woodyng2, Rocker47, tindrum and 4 others like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If you get rid of a bass you could take tat money and a little more and get 2 more basses. And some weird pedal. GAS expands to fill its environment.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I want fewer basses, not the same amount. The fact that I really fallen in love with my SBMM SR5 has made realize that a pretty modest bass really works well for me, and that the Super 5 and SR5 could be enough tones for me.

Luigir, aldaa, DJ Bebop and 8 others like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sure, sell a bass or two, but just for fun...and believe me watching the faces of doubters when they hear this little beast is fun...but buy one of these.
    FB-IMG-1636931401432.jpg

6. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    To me it's not about what I might get asked to use on a gig - or what will necessarily work best. Any of my basses (save for my fretless Rob Allen) will get the job done - and I'm not a studio player so the finer details are not going to make or break the gig. The main thing is that I have basses I enjoy playing (and that I enjoy looking at - and owning). It doesn't have to be any deeper than that. :)

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I've probably told my strategy. 2 hooks on the wall = 2 basses. Cases in closets or under beds don't count. As far as anyone can see I only have 2 basses or 2 guitars or one of each. Just consider it. Hahaha.

8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

What is is? I am a dinosaur.

Williethump and jd56hawk like this.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use all of my basses live, rehearsal, and practice. They all produce something tone-wise that works with the band I'm in. They also work for playing along with recordings and for hashing out ideas.
    They're also (except the Dano) Fender basses and so, there's a satisfying tonal range.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. Exactly! I have a few tucked away in a closet and they don't count either. It's as though they are in a different dimension or something. I don't have to feel guilty about them.

comatosedragon and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Doc, just keep the ones that you can afford to keep,and that currently bring you the MOST joy. The rest is semantics.

Like you said, your gig doesn't "require" any of them. Decide how many you can keep. Keep that number that make you grin the most. Don't worry about dollar values, unless the o ly ones you are willing to sell don't add up to much.

lomo, DJ Bebop, bassballs27 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Any bass I keep will be a bass I thoroughly enjoy owning.:D

13. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    you are allowed to have fun in life, have a few instruments relating to something you enjoy is allowed, without any other reason than it's fun.

OogieWaWa, lomo, BassikBrad and 7 others like this.
  14. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I have 3. Jazz-style, Precision-style, Stingray. Only one employer (country music artist) seems to not care for the Stingray, but he’s not asked me to stop bringing it (“that bass don’t sound like you! Those 2 that look like Fenders…they sound like you!” Fair enough, works for me…:D).

My other situations don’t care which of the 3 I play. So I indulge myself on those gigs. I’d never consider ridding myself of any of the 3. That’s just me. As usual….:D

wmmj, Dr. Cheese and Moving Pictures like this.
  15. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Oof that's a lot of mental arithmetic there Cheese.

How about, if no one cares what you play but you, then just play what makes you happy. :)

lomo, VoodooJazz, BassikBrad and 7 others like this.
  16. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Do you play for you or play for them?

Passinwind and Chicken Wing like this.
  17. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Seems I forgot about my usual habit of answering this kind of question with a question….

Why not?”….:roflmao:

BassikBrad and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I play for God when I am in church. At a more worldly level, my goal is to make everyone sound good. Honestly, the more I play simply and focus on the song, the better I do. I am no Andrew Gouche, I do not have the skill for elaborate fills while keeping the groove.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like playing stuff that gives me sounds I like, and I don’t like a lot of “dead weight” in my collection.

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I meant do you play for you or the folks at church who don’t care what you play, as you mentioned in the first post.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022