Why do you own more than one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringMan50, Nov 24, 2004.

1. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
    :bag: Why is there a need to own more than one bass other than to have another in case one break. I suppose if you play rock,ragge,gospel r&b,country,jazz,bluegrass I guess you would have to have seven different basses by seven different manufacter to play these different style. Or is it just a status thing, you know look what I own.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a Jazz Bass and a Precision Bass. Different animals with different sounds. I'm thinking of getting another Jazz and tuning it BEAD and perhaps (just for laughs) a MM Sterling so I could install an Ag 2-band preamp and a Nordstrand MM4.3 pickup.

Which reminds me: If anyone knows of a MM Sterling with no or shot electronics, I'd like one (rosewood board, please) so I don't have to buy one and start throwing parts away.
  3. StringMan50

Jan 12, 2004
  4. Because I want to.

I could easily do everything I need to do with 2 basses - a fretted and a fretless. I choose to own a few more simply because I want to.

5. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I have a fretted 4, a fretless 4, and a fretted 5. I've got a fretted 6 and a fretless 6 on the way. All different brands, with all different scale legnths. All VERY different beasts.

Now, I wouldn't understand having, say, 5 different JAZZ basses or something like that, but that's just me.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because I have nothing better to do with my money. :)

7. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have three basses. My first bass, which I still have, is an inexpensive Guild bluesbird from 1975. I bought a 5 string Yamaha about 4 years ago because I wanted a somewhat more up-to-date instrument and because I wanted to try out the 5th string. I recently bought a fretless Fender Jazz for that FJ tone and the fretless sound. I use the Yamaha for rock and the Fender for jazz and swing. The Guild is semi-retired. So I have multiple basses for the various sounds. But I don't think I'll need anymore. Two basses just about covers it. For me anything else is just G.A.S. :D
  8. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    That's like asking why you have more than one arm. :D
  9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    At least Three reason.
    Fretted, Fretless, Upright
  10. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    When I was 16 95% of bassist had only one bass (30+ years ago), That's all we really needed. as time went on and different companies came into being, different sounds became available. Now it is hard to get one bass to sound like every bass tone you hear, due to the fact one hears so many different sounds that please them. Now the bass has been established as a very important even a solo instrument, so it's hard for most bass players who can afford multiple basses not to have multiple basses.

To sum it up in legal terminolgy- bragging rites! :D
  11. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Good post, Cliff. I've been thinking about trying upright myself, so maybe that's next.
  12. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
  13. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Because a P is a fine sounding bass, but it's not the only bass in the world, and it's not right for every song.

Because there are times when I need a fretless.

Because sometimes I just want to stretch out on a 6-string.

Because different woods, pickups, and construction techniques give unique sounds.

Because I can. Deal with it. :p
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    just trying to keep up with the Johnsons.....
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I have 4 5-string fretted basses. A Roscoe LG-3005, Elrick Gold series 5, F Bass BN5 and Gecko 5. All 4 have great but very different sounds. They each tend to bring out different styles of my playing also.
  16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Just how big are those Johnsons that you're trying to keep up with? :D
  17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I need a bass to fill my every desire..... :D

2000 Modulus Flea 4 on the way from fellow TB'er Modflea that is going to be my main gigging bass. It will be kept in E-A-D-G tuning.

1997 Warwick Corvette modded with DiMarzio Model J's and an Aguilar OBP-3 that has been my main gigging bass, but that position is going to be filled by the Modulus Flea 4. The Warwick is now going to be kept in B-E-A-D tuning and used for songs that require a B string, and for songs that need a really heavy/dirty tone.

2002 CWD Blue Voodoo (my own custom built bass), this bass will be used sparingly for gigging purposes, but will be used for any recordings that require a big, fat, round, warm almost dub type of tone (imagine the tone of a P, but BIGGER). In that regard, it will be used sparingly on recordings as well (I prefer more aggressive hi-fi type tone), but it has its place and it holds a certain sentimental value to me as well.
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    They so shiny and purdy!
  19. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    To accessorize my wardrobe, of course!!! :D :D :D
  20. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I need a lot of basses to establish my inferiiority complex so that I can feel good about myself and impress women. :D

Actually, I only have two basses: A fretless 5, a fretted 5, and I'm saving up for an upright. All three give very different sounds and are useful for different situations. I usually use my fretless for church, and my fretted for rock or solo stuff.