Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do you own (or want) a 6-string (or more) ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Apr 2, 2002.

1. To enlarge your musical horizons

86 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. To increase playability (less hand moves)

55 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. To enlarge note scale

53 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. To get a lead-guitar-like feeling

16 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. To distinguish yourself

18 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. To ensure that no carrot will ever have a wider neck

36 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Some kind of small poll to know why you own or want a 6-string (or more) bass...

All comments welcome !

All the best,

2. the reason i'm getting a 6er is this:

i have a 4 string at the moment and i'm always finding myself either at the 20+ frets on the G string and wanting to go higher or on the 5- frets on the E string and wanting to go lower

i also hate having to jump up/down the neck for 1 or 2 notes in riff so the x-tra strings will help

AND this bass will be the last one i'm going to get for the forseable future so it'll be a nice challenge, and i'll have more chords to play around with

and pretty much every reason in the poll!

thats it really :D

l8rz

Tom

3. I use my 6 in several situations:
    1. It is nice to use on jazz gigs where solos are frequent. It allows you to play higher register notes without being up around 22nd fret range. 2. It also allows chords to be played much more effectively.
    3. It allows a different approach to walking bass lines--more across the neck vs. up and down the neck.
    4. It has made me a better 4 and 5 string player. Changing my approach to bass lines when switching between axes has opened up previously untraveled roads.
    5. Soloing on a 6 has improved my melodic ideas for playing basslines.

When I play gigs that don't require the 6 string, such as a rock or blues gig, I'll take my 4. The 6 can get a little heavy sometimes after playing 3 or 4 nights in a row.

G.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I find a 6 to be much more conducive to melodic bass playing than a 4 or 5 by allowing me to run horizontal patterns instead of vertical ones. This also stimulates improvisation (for me) by putting those patterns within easier reach. For those who are more rhythmic oriented, extended range instruments may be less useful. Of course, that doesn't explain guys like Jack Bruce, does it? My guess is that he's just a 4 stringer from way back so that's what he sticks with. Another melodic bassist, Phil Lesh, made the switch to a 6 about 20 years ago. Personally, I found the transistion to be a little difficult but nothing plenty of hard work couldn't overcome.

5. I prefer to move across the fretboard rather than along it, so I'm planning to pick up a fretless 6 for jazz work.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I originally wanted just upper and lower range when I got my 6's. Only after I had them did I realize how much easier they make long runs, horizontal rather than vertical, which is especially useful on fretless -- the fewer left-hand shifts, the better.

And about a year ago, I had the opportunity to trade my two 6's for two Conklin 7's for a total of about $150, so now I have range out the ying-yang -- and they are just plain FUN! :cool: :D

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The 6 string for me really opens the instrument up melodically. It allows me to express myself much better when soloing. I have more options, and I can play much higher without moving around too much. It also allows me to play chords and chord melodies which would be impossible on a 4 string.

I am looking at this from a Jazz musicians approach. When I am playing Blues and Rock, and I need to groove, I take my 4 string. I think most of us 6 string players have the same thoughts on the subject.:)

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    because its this one!!
    [​IMG]
    but really- i dig the range, though im having a time getting the 6 string under my fingers. im used to 5.
    the slap stuff is fun to adjust :rolleyes:
    but when i get used to it i really think itll be worth it.

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Y'know, I do have a nice 4 that would serve me well in some situations... but i can't face a tune without my low B anymore! So I wind up always taking my 7's.

By the way, Adrian -- pretty baby!

10. For most stuff, my 5's are just fine. There were occasions that I wanted a 6, so I sprung for one. I like the additional challenge of a 6, but I believe I will only use it occasionally.

Jeff

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i agree- and i own a Fodera 5 that feels like childs play after a week with the 6- it is a lot easier to pley, but for now, im just chipping away on the 6- i put the 5 away- i figure, i gotta get used to it if i play it enough!! so its all 6 right now. except i fiddled with the 5 a little today- but its away again!! for mow- i dont want to cofuse my hands by switching back and forth

12. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Jeff, off topic but a quickie: What mid frequencies can you select on your Pushic? Really enjoyed the photo album of the construction! It must be such an awesome feeling to actually PLAY that baby after watching what must have seemed like the agonizingly slow pocess of it coming together!

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I mostly play ska/punk/reggae, so I've been on a 4 for about 8 years now, and I'm wanting a new bass, so I just figure why not give me everything I can see needing or wanting in the future. I really like to move around in my ska, so with a 6 I'll be able to stay centralized rather than moving up and down the neck. I also like to chord alot, and it's been mentioned that a 6 give a whole new approach to chording. I just think it'll be a big help in improving all of my bass playing.

14. Busk

Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    I am mostly a guitarist who is much better at guitar than bass (runs and ducks for cover). I want to get more into bass playing and improve. For years, I have been playing a Rick 4001 as my only bass. I just picked up a Peavey TL-6. I don't know...I just want more strings. It's like there is more there, more to do, more to play, more timbres, more variety of feel, more possibilities. Also, it seemed like a challenge compared to the 4, but not impossible, like going from skis to snowboarding.

Now, if I can only overcome my fear of fretless.

15. I have a four, next bass will be a four, but there's something about six strings that makes me want to try it out. Five strings, I don't get. Six make sense to me though. I don't really know why.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It took me about a week to get comfortable with the 635.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, good question...hmmm, i dunno. i just recently got my first six, and i'm still getting used to it. it's a usa curbow with 20mm string spacing at the bridge, so, it's pretty w i d e . i see that a lot of people are saying jazz...i really don't know squat about jazz, and quite frankly, the whole concept of that style of playing intimidates me. having the extra strings inspires me to pick up my bass a lot more often, though. i don't know why, but it just does. i also tend to focus a little more on my technique, which i think has made me a better bass player. to each his own...heck, i want a 7 string :D

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nope, not me. i haven't touched anything less than a 7 in ...(looks at watch)... almost 9 years now.

there is _NOTHING_ that you can do on a 4 that can't be done on an extended range instrument. except maybe wrap your hand around the neck :D.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree, jt.

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I meant 6 string players not 7;) ;)

Of course you guys are right. I just being careful with my 6. The Squire doesn't care if it gets bumped around too much!