1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you play a Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 24, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    The Jazz Bass has taken complete control of planet Earth, and Precision Bass players are an insignificant spec in the global population. So why, I ask you, my fellow Precision players, haven't we moved on?

Why haven't we abandoned the Precision Bass and just gone with the flow and leave the P Bass behind? Why don't we just give in and huddle with the masses?

What is it about the ancient, wide neck, split coil ol' relic that keeps us hanging on? Why do we still play the Precision Bass? :)

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Because, when every combination of EQ, pup blending, exotic bass selection, effects, speaker cabs, preamps, and room acoustics have failed to find a sound that works perfectly in a given situation, whipping out a Pbass WILL ALWAYS fix the problem.

:D

3. The only logical conclusion I can think of is cranial/rectal inversion. There is treatment, but it gives you serious gas.

4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    ??????!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

5. Take it easy man, guess I'm not as funny as I thought.

6. because the P-bass produces the fattest, warmest bass tone known to man! perfect pickup placement, thick neck, sheer beauty and simplicity.

i scoff at your jazz bass with it's 2 pickups......i scoff at its offset body......i laugh at its skinny neck........well ok, just kidding :) to each his own.

7. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Because no matter how many basses you try, buy, and play, you'll always find a good reason to pick up a Pbass for that tone that's in everyones head. It's what bass sounds like period!

8. well, i don't know about the the "most ever known to man" but it certainly is fat!

I play both Jazz and P Basses... I prefer Jazzes, but when you want thick, low mid fat punch... the P's always there.
    You can get fat warm tone w/ the tone control rolled back, or you can get a bruising, grindy, raging tone w/ it full open with rounds.

versatile enough w/ the vol and tone control!
    a great bass/ultimate classic!

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    What the....?:confused:

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Can't be put better than that.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Tell you the truth... I got the "P" Thing recently.

I have some basses, and while all sound good, and are versatile thanks to their 3 band Eqs, and Dual Humbuckers and all...

My old P-Bass (wich i recently got) is tremendously versatile (just play with your hand position /touch and use the tone control)
    It will fit in rock, heavy, blues, etc.

It just sounds great everytime.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Why? Because the P sounds like rock 'n' roll.

Sure, there are plenty of J players who can rock it hard, and I love the sound of my J, but when I want to bang out a rockin' groove, I still reach for the P first.

13. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    After toying with them for 20 years.....IMO Precisions have the most level/ even output, as built, like having compression with out a compressor.

14. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

The F U N K.

Duh?
    :rollno:

15. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    'Cos its a bass.

I bought one once I'd got started on Bass because it seemed like a safe choice: I didn't know what else was out there and I thought if I could get the skills developed on an instrument that did the business for so many great players at least I wouldn't be held back or led up a blind alley. I've listened to a lot of music since then, and played different basses, and owned some different ones too. Now it just seems my P bass lets me make the sound I want at the gigs I play. I don't want to spend time swapping strings or worrying about which pickups ought to be on which of my basses: I just get out my old P and do music.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Because I like my bass to go boom boom, not bling bling.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I dont think such a truer statement ever existed, nice one Lug!

18. :cool: Because, if you look into the big dictionary of the universe for the defiinition of "bass guitar", it will state: Any of the genus Fender Precision Bass. All other bass guitars are "imperfect" evolutions of the "perfect" design.

In other words, nothing, absolutely nothing works like a P-Bass to give you that satisfying DEEP, THUMP, THUD that a P-Bass provides. Yes, you can find some semblance of happiness with others, i.e., J-Basses, Cirrus', Warwicks, etc., etc., etc. But for true nirvana, a P-BASS IS, THE ONLY ANSWER.

I've tried many a different bass in my 40+ years of playing, and I always come back to a P-Bass. It can do it all, if you just learn to use it.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

BEAUTIFUL.

That comment applies to looks as well as tone: blocks and binding == bling bling. :p

Jazz Ad likes this.
  20. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Because the P-bass doesn't hum and buzz.

My first bass was a P-bass, so the P-bass feels familiar and comfortable. I like the rock sound of the humbucker. The buzz of the jazz bass is really annoying.