Why do you play bass ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh5, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Josh5

Oct 20, 2003
    Why dou you prefer bass guitar to other instruments ( guitar , drums , keyboard etc.)
    What is your favourite thing about playing bass ?
  2. Slap bass. Coolest thing in the world.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I play bass because I like bass. (sorry I figured why prolong the inevitable) :D
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play bass because i dont like to follow the pack. The "pack" in this case is guitar players.

But other then that, Geddy Lee. I was listening to some Rush songs the other day and my ear was drawn to the bass, not the whiny guitar trying to sound coool.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Translation: whatever babes the lead vocalist and lead guitarist don't want. ;)
  6. We get babes??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:eek: :confused:
  7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Because I lost my kazoo. :( ;)
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, we're talking a large backlog here, mister :mad: :p
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    because I knew... someday... on some message board, someone would ask

that and it kicks all the other instruments butts
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Interesting answer: as a teen I had the hots for Suzi Quatro. It was all over for me when I got the Rolling Stone issue with Suzi on the cover (in her tight leather jumpsuit) and she said "Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, and bass is for the groin". She's right, you know (and I don't think I'll get any arguments here).

Realistic answer: I was a big Beatles fan as a kid... I'm pretty sure Sir Paul's lines clued me in to the importance of bass.
  11. cuz it's easier.

Seriously, cuz you can feel the bass...literally and all the other ways.
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    'Cause everyone needs a bass player. :cool:
  13. Posted by Kaz

Only if you're over 40. (didn't you read the fine print that came with your bass?)
  14. I started playing because there where no bass players near where i lived and I saw it as a novelty, when I grabbed my first bass it felt like whoa I have to buy this thing!!! even thoug I had never played I just knew it was rigth for me.
  15. Because my ego isn't big enough to be a guitarist.:D
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    because i couldnt play guitar and sing at the same time. so i play bass - i dont have to sing :D
  17. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    It just feels right. Years of playing guitar and I never felt comfortable, then I finally bought a bass and everything just went smooth.