1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you play bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by latkingz781, Jul 16, 2008.

1. latkingz781

latkingz781

Apr 26, 2008
    So yeah today my dad asked me "Why do you play bass?" My reply was really long, and I ended it with saying I could play guitar if I wanted, it's just I choose to keep flow!:bassist:;) So I was wondering why everyone here plays bass!?

2. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    I play bass because I love music and bass had a better sound.

3. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    I actually played drums for a while. At some point I started noticing bass lines in songs, and decided that was the part of the song I really wanted to play.

4. primitiveworker

primitiveworker

May 11, 2008
    Although I do prefer its sound and function to that of guitar, my fondness for the instrument comes primarily from how it feels in my hands whilst playing.

5. To get fat chicks. Why else?

6. It is said that there are two ways to experience a bass: You can hear it and you can feel it. This is why I play it.

7. Because tuba makes my mouth hurt, is too expensive, and there's no place to store the damned thing in the house.

Same goes for the harp....

Z

8. I am a keyboard-player originally, read my sig to find out why I started to play the bass. Since the it's now a major hobby and I like it a lot, not only the playing but also everything about the basses etc.

D.Don

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I knew a lot of guitarists and drummers, but no keyboardists and bassists. I sucked on keyboards, so I play bass so I could get a lot more gigs than drummers and guitarists. It worked.

10. brother started playing guitar so i picked up bass. thats why i began playing. today i play because if i didnt have a outlet for my creativity i might explode. its relaxing to play and satisfying to improve.

11. To be honest, i'm not really sure.

My dad plays bass, but I wouldn't say that's the reason I play...

12. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I play bass because it's bad ass and When asked what i'm up to I can always say I got some gigs coming up

13. Because I'm the best- really. :cool:

14. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    because I can.

15. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It felt right.

Not my choice, but I played tuba in middle school beginning band and dug playing the bottom of the tunes. But tuba was not cool so moved to trumpet, then guitar. Guitar was alright, but then started digging on the bass in Jazz and R&B so I switched to bass. Over the years I have switched back forth between bass and guitar playing and studying both always using the knowledge of one to enhance the other.

16. I played guitar since I was 15 and started going to this church that already had 3 guitarist, 2 drummers, and 2 keyboard players, but no bassist. I agreed to play the bass and instantly fell in love with it. Even to this day I've been a guitarist for over 20 years but will continue to call myself a bassist because that's what I do now. I love the role of a bassist. I feel like I have more control of the song and can steer it, where as a guitarist I felt like an added instrument, something that wasn't needed. I always played lead guitar so when I became a bassist I had to settle down a little bit but once I matured as a bassist and learned the role better I filled the spot perfectly.

17. ryanj129

ryanj129

Apr 16, 2008
    Clawson, MI
    Because I love the low end.

Tried guitar and just couldn't get into a groove, so I tried a bass and LOVED it.

18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd rather make people dance than make 'em think.
    and +1 to "it feels right". :D

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I play bass cus I couldn't tune my guitar any lower....

20. It wasn't a choice it was a need and I had no desire to play anything else.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021