1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you play bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by latkingz781, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Because:

1. I can't play drums and don't want to either.

2. I can play a wicked fingerstyle acoustic guitar in many weird tunings, but my electric playing sounds like 60's surf music.

3. I hate the sound of most digital keyboards and lugging around a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie seems a bit extreme.

4. Playing bass is fun and I always seem to meet really great lead guitar players to jam and gig with. What's more they tell me my playing gives them a good vibe for soloing. People always tell me how I seem to lock in with them well, etc.

Therefore I play bass.

2. Three reasons for ya:

1. I always loved the lower strings- I played cello, then I wanted to play something else. I chose bass.

2. I'm the fat kid so I might as well have an uber fat tone.

3. The treble clef looks creepy.

3. Nijyo

Nijyo

Jul 16, 2008
    /thread right there

4. believe me, I've thought of it.

*Psyco music playing*
    [​IMG]

5. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    my wrist would sting when i bent it enough to try forming chords. besides, the only other nusicians in theneighboorhood were a drummer, and guitarist. i broke the two high strings on the guitar, so i took a hacksaw and cut new slots in the nut and bridge and turned it into a bass :bassist: that was 1979. johnny a

6. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
  7. 2late

2late

Apr 3, 2008
    Like so many others, started out on guitar, and found that field overcrowded. There was a bass void with the guys I jammed with, so I filled it. My first bass was a maple-necked Ibanez fretless. I sucked at it, of course; just thought all I had to do to sound like Jaco Pastorius was buy a fretless.

Later on, traded a Conn Strobotuner (this was 1979) for a Peavey t-40 bass, which, believe it or not, I still play (along with a 1966 Roth double bass I got a few months ago).

I think all will agree that there is nothing like laying down the fundamentals of the groove. Sometimes that pocket feels so good that I think, "Oh yeah; I'm a bad M.F." About that time I usually hit a wrong note.

But ya know what I really get off on? SINGING and playing bass at the same time. Always a challenge.

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Its the sound in my head.

9. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Started out about 6 weeks on clarinet (parents' idea), then when I had no chops for that, we got out Dad's old tenor trombone. In high school I first 'discovered' the bass trombone and by my senior year got the opportunity to learn and play the upright. After that picked up a used Epiphone bass from my best friend.

Once I got the feel of being the drive behind a band and got into the groove with a couple really good drummers, it was addictive. I found tone with my first Fender P and loved the bass even more.

Got away from playing for way too many uears, then saw a used Fender P that needed some love and now my wife describes herself as a bass or music widow!

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Because no other instrument Brings in Da Funk like bass.

11. zeppelinfreak

zeppelinfreak

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, I originally played tuba (still do actually, and just to brag, Ive been ranked the best in northern Illinois in my age bracket). So I wanted to learn a string instrument, and bass seemed like the natural choice because I Was already used to playing low.

So I played on my own (and with my teacher) for a half a year, and then joined my school jazz band. Jazz band was pretty easy since the lines in a 7th grade jazz band arent to hard, and I could already read music.

And then bass kept growing on me until I got to where I am today.

12. I love the low-end.

13. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    Because it's easier than guitar

14. I always loved the sound of the bass...learned the keys but always found myself listening to the bass more...so, I decided to buy my first bass in Apr. of 2007, and then in Oct-Nov. of last year started teaching myself to play...I love it!!!!!

15. :rollno::eyebrow::D

16. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I originally wanted to play the drums, but never thought about it seriously. One day, spontaneously, i decided i want to play the bass, and i just went for it.

A while later i found out the my father played the bass and great grandfather played the contrabass. I guess it runs in the family. That and alcoholism. :p

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Because I love it, Im very good at it, and it makes me a very good living

Rob

18. Many have allready said it and I'm going to say it again, I just love the way it feels. So do the ladies.

19. Fender543

Fender543

Jul 3, 2008
    OK, thats not really true. I just love the power of it, that low end, everybody feels it. Class

20. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I play bass because I love music, and once I was actually able to figure out what a bass actually sounded like, I loved the idea of bass:

-As mentioned above, you can feel it and you can hear it
    -There's a whole lot that can be done to the sound of it while still remaining somewhat within it's traditional role(s) as evidenced over the past 40 years
    -Bass has the potential to have a huge effect on the overall sound and feel of a band and/or song. It can completely change the feel without most people realizing it
    -It may be perceived as "easy" by both musicians and non-musicians, yet it's difficult to do well imo. I see plenty of drummers/guitar players/keyboard players/vocalists who have picked up bass on the side, and it's not the same. I still don't do it well even after 20 years of playing! :eek:
    -It requires a certain level of discipline to play as your primary instrument and for a lot of people I know/meet, that's something which is in short supply :smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021