Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why do you play Hollow/Chambered Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For me I want to bring out more of the acoustical depth of the instrument and here its guts in a sense. I personaly play my Semi Hollow Violin Bass http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13701 strung up with Hofner flats for acoustic jams and performances, it seems to work better in those situations then when your heavier aggresive music. How about you?.

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    hey Padre how are ya?
    I don't have an acoustic or hollow chambered bass but I do love the sound that an excellent body will get with out being plugged in. I know that this isn't the answer that you wanted, however, I just thought that I would chime in anyway. Nothing quite like the original tone. ;)

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. MAJOR METAL

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  6. My first 'real' bass was a teardrop Vox w/those same onboard efx. Gotta love that elongated-mandolin neck!
    But to answer the original question, I had my Stambaugh 6 built semi-hollow half on a hunch that I'd like the sound, half to lighten it up a bit. Both points worked out great.

7. MAJOR METAL

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah so would a lot of people but that was a one off made for the President of Hofner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Thedudepit/Hofner Pics/DCP01304.jpg

I just scratched my "Hofner Itch" and ordered one of these new Limited Edition Club's through Bass Northwest. Only 50 will be made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Thedudepit/Hofner Pics/HofnerClubBassLimitedEdition_1.jpg

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You have a pic of that Stambaugh?

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  11. I do- don't know how to get them here, but there are pics under a thread on the Steve Lawson Masterclass in San Jose(thanks again, Lowell).

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  13. I'm really dumb. But my wife will be home soon, & she knows how. And she owes me one- I kept the kids alive all day today.

14. MAJOR METAL

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Never played one but first and foremost is the fact that the Hofners are 30" scale and the JC's are 34" scale. I wouldn't imagine that they sound that much different than the Hofner 500/1's.

16. ha, not to go back on topic or anything, but i play my brice violin bass mostly for jazz band at school. it just sounds great for jazz and blues.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here's a great looking bass!

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    2 Steve's..........

19. MAJOR METAL

Is it completely hollow?.

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Interesting configuration with the bridge.... :eyebrow:

Other than "being different" (which is cool) does it serve a purpose? Nice bass though!!! Makes me more eager for my Stammie!!!

:hyper: