1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do YOU play more than four?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I play more than four because I like having more notes available to me, and I like to be able to play chords every once in a while. A six also feels very comfortable to my left hand.

gebass6 likes this.
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    So people will say "Why you need 7 strings?"
    And then I'll say "why not?"
    :D

MattB88 and gebass6 like this.
  3. +1
    but +1000000 to the comfort factor. I always feel like my left thumb is going to creep up on anything smaller than a 6

4. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    I just like five strings. I feel no need to justify it to anyone.

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I dont. Not yet at least. I do love the feel of a 5, mainly because my two biggest influences are Stefan Lessard, and Dirk Lance. I also like the tighter spacing.

6. I play a lot of basslines from keyboard music and so I need the low notes....I tune to A

7. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    More = better. Duh!

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Jeff Berlin: "Five string basses won't make you a better player."

GlennRH likes this.
  9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    5 strings because im lazy and dont like to slide up and down the neck. i would rather just go across the strings.

10. Soooo......when's your 94-string coming, eh?

I just ordered my 98-string, Fred's waiting for his 107-string...

Anyway...I think it's a little extreme to say that, I just like having the expanded palette and to be comfortable without having to play the piano from BIG (Tom Hanks)

11. While Jeff is a great player, he has a rather Faux Pas method of communicating his thoughts.

That's not to say I don't agree with his statement, but all you have to do is look at some letters he has written (Victor and Steve B.) to see what I mean. He's not the nicest guy on the planet.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I play 5 because I am addicted to the low B string

13. Because I play urban gospel sometimes and I need those low notes, plus I like having the extra range in a single hand position.

14. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    because thats what the guy had for sale:)

15. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    But a better player can take better advantage of the extra strings available.... and I guess in his case, 5-string basses won't make him any less pretentious.

I play 5-string because.... I want to. The low-B lends itself well to slower tempos and smoother styles, IMO. I tune my Warwick F1 down a whole step, and I love being enveloped by the low tones.

16. The only reason I purchased the three 5er's I had was for the low notes. I sold them off, and just started tuning my 4bangers to CGCF which I like better. Slim neck - low notes ... best of both worlds.

EDIT: However I have my eye a a new 5er anyway - If I just had $800 to spare ...

17. I play a low B 5stringer because I loooove the sound of those extra low notes. Having those low notes available can bring more contrast or intensity to a song when needed. A low B is also very useful in the higher ranges, removing the need to slide down to reach a lower note in a melody or solo.

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    He's right and in my case they are the right tool for the job.

You can easily apply Jeff's logic to a bass with any number of strings between 1 and 1000 :)

19. We do alot of songs 1/2 to 1 full step down. I play a 5 so I don't have to detune alot. I can just change postion.

20. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    In retrospect, I probably should have added an emoticon to make my blatant use of sarcasm/hyperbole more apparent. :spit: