1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why do you play music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Just for fun

228 vote(s)
    80.9%
  2. I hope to make it my career (rockstar or bust - ie. be in a successful touring band)

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. I hope to make it my career (I may never be a rockstar, but my goal is to earn a living w music)

21 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. It *IS* my career

29 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Little did I know when I first started learning at 9 years old that music would become a second career. Many decades later I've travelled around the country more than I could have done without a musical career, met so many talented people and learnt a lot along the way. 34 years in the same band must mean something and despite the money I wouldn't do it if I wasn't having a great time so I guess I do it for fun.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  2. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    The universe decided I have to.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  3. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    OK... honestly... I didn't read the previous 7 pages, but... I have an answer. Although, I don't really know if I play "MUSIC", as I don't feel the need, nor am I inspired to play songs written by anyone else. Nor to lug equipment around to be a "HUMAN JUKEBOX" (no offence), to the drunk masses. But... I love to "write & record" STUFF. It may be NOISE to others, but... I do it because... otherwise... I'd most likely go insane!!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Fuzzonaut likes this.
  4. "Money for nothing, and chicks for free"...

So, I voted for fun. Music is fun. Money is fun. Women are fun. $$%&$$ used to be fun until it almost killed me. So fun it is. Just not too much fun, anymore.

5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 starting in 1965 with no aspirations of making it a career, it was the craze at the time and I was caught up in it, then just kept doing it with friends over time. Before I retired 6 years ago, I picked up a ukulele and it was so much fun and easy to handle, that I decided to make it my focus for my retirement, knowing that playing music is good for you as you age.

I joined a seniors group that meets twice a week. A year later the leader asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound. In the time I played guitar, I was often told I should play bass because I had good feel and tempo, but I never wanted to be encumbered by a large electric guitar, forget a stand up double bass, but when she asked, I did some research and discovered bass ukes and small electric bass guitars, so I went for it.

So I play music for fun and for a quality way of life. BTW, I haven't played my guitars since and gave them away.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  6. I like your style!

7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    It's what I do
    It's deep beneath the skin
    It's what I major in
    It's what I do

mc900ftj likes this.
  8. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    i voted "just for fun" but that doesn't cover it at all... the answers are only from an accountants point of view which is never enough when looking at art like music.

9. Yup

Yup

Mar 20, 2019
    None of those options fit. It gives me a will to live. Sorry to be so morbid.

sears likes this.
  10. I do it for fun. Creative outlet, camaraderie, etc. I'm fortunate enough to be in a band that makes a little money from it, but more importantly, I get to do cool stuff. Fly-out festivals, here and abroad...stuff like that. We do some touring, short runs, that don't involve sleeping on floors. Luckily, we're at a point where we get guarantees that assure I can still pay my mortgage after I take the time off work. I still don't aspire to be a "rock star" or full time musician necessarily, but I suppose it could happen (doubtful). If it did come to fruition, and I could do it on my terms, I wouldn't be too upset; I hate my day job.

11. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Because I enjoy it. I think that’s why they use the verb “play.”

12. Voted just for fun.

I´ve started with 14 with a garage band, since then I´ve never stopped having and playing basses and some acustic guitars besides my professional career, its a question of Love for the music and basses.

I remeber that I used to have a poster of fender bass family about the 80´s in my bedroom, I dreamed of a P bass. I would love to have a digital version of this poster (can´t find it googling) It had a Fender Rhodes stage electric piano

My first bass was a Hofner 185 Artist Bass Guitar (made in 1966, the year I was born), the last that I have bought was this year - a Precision model-51 a modern version with a beautifull vint look with Seymour Duncan (by Junk Music Store)
    my current prefered basses : two frankenfender jazzbasses with sunburst

Peace!

13. In my early teens, I decided I wanted to learn an instrument. My father was a professional musican and was very supportive. He got me my first $#!% bass and amp and there wouldn't have been a singe day I didn't play for the next 15-odd years. Practising by myself, jamming with friends, rehearsing with bands. I got pretty good. By my mid teens I thought I might get good enough to do it for a living. Then at 17 [REASONS] I had to leave home, which meant I had to get a job. The job was shift work so there were weeks where I worked nights and couldn't rehearse or gig. Music had to take a back seat. Since then, I've played in a lot of bands, made one album, even made some money, but I've never again thought I'd be a full time musician (although I was once, for a short while, after I got made redundant). I play because getting together with other people, each person doing their own thing, and those things coming together to make music, is the greatest buzz there is. But I don't do it "for fun". It's way more important than that. Playing is as much a part of my life as talking. If I never played in a band again it would be like never having another conversation.

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Doing it for fun. Playing music isn't going to be my future career, but talking (and writing) about it is most likely going to be part of my job description.

15. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    Music is just in me. My parents sent me to sing in the church choir at age 5 because that's what you do around here, and in the days before streaming services and cable TV (I'm not that old, but I'm old enough) we always had music on in the house. Joined the school orchestra and band on violin and trombone when I was old enough. Picked up bass in high school because all my friends played guitar and drums. Music was a demanding part time job in high school because of how awesome our music program was. Went to college for music. Continued on.

There was no epiphany as a kid that "Hey, music is my favorite thing in the world." In fact, I remember having a conversation with my dad where he observed that he didn't see anything in my life that I was passionate about. To transport myself back to that moment, I would tell younger Dave "It's music. And you can actually do something with it if you start taking it seriously now."

I have finally built my music career into a side hustle that supports my GAS, which is likely as far as I'll ever get. But life without it would be...much different.

So I also voted "Just for fun", but that's just because "Cuz I've never considered that not playing music was an option."...wasn't an option...

Wow, that went off the rails fast.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I play music, because it is my heart, my soul, my destiny and that is mainly everything i have inside me.

17. My reasons have changed through the years.

1. At a young age it was just somewhat expected by many on my fathers side of the family, and maybe was a way to gain approval from friends and relatives.
    2. A little later I did it for the fun as I enjoyed playing, and it was an identity.
    3. Then of course came coin, girls, and gear. I truly loved coin, girls, and gear.
    4. In my early 20's it5 became coin and women.
    5. Late 20's early 30's it was great fun as coin, women and gear were in abundance as were gig's.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  18. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Wow, well said!
    Cheers!

19. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    Never dreamed of being a "rock star," but I did spend about 20 years touring with a bunch of them (in various states of stardom). Was always more interested in the "behind the scenes" stuff. And that's where I am today.

Nevada Pete likes this.
  20. For me it’s very much for stress relief. I have a job that can be rough sometimes. I work as a surgical technologist covering mainly trauma surgery at one of the busiest hospitals in the country in a town in where the shooting to population ratio is actually worse than Chicago. I see a lot of bad stuff from teenagers who were senselessly shot or stabbed, Ive seen children who were mutilated and even killed by certain dogs that people constantly post about on social media describing as “perfect little angels”, I’ve seen soldiers stationed nearby at fort Bragg with career ending injuries from car and motorcycle accidents. Playing music gives me a healthy outlet. It prevents me from becoming an alcoholic or a druggie, or a total jerk. It keeps me sane so I can be the happy husband and father my family deserves. For me I take the music aspect of being in a band very seriously but I also have fun hanging out with my my bandmates and enjoy that team like vibe that’s about as close as it gets to my days of being an athlete from when I was a small child through high school.

I personally don’t care much about “making it.” I do very much enjoy playing big shows but as far as I’m concerned the music industry is trash these days. It’s laughable at this point with hip hop artist and gimmicky bands winning awards in categories they shouldn’t even be included in. There’s really not enough money in it for it to be about money for me. My day job pays more than most of the musicians I look up to make.

cosmicevan, Nevada Pete and ELG60 like this.