Why do you play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PunkO, Oct 23, 2000.

1. PunkO

Oct 22, 2000
    A day ago i asked a question about if its ok to want to practice because you want to be better than some else (read practice makes perfect). So i though why not see why people play bass, practice playing music, listen to the music they do and why they like it.

I play because I love it and i can just lose myself in the music. It's hard to explain it but you know what i mean. I listen to the Punk because its real and its true. It's not like that pop crap were the people dont even write there songs and the songs have no meaning. Thats why i like my music and why i play.

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i make music because its something i feel good doing, i dont have to worry about something else while im doing it, and while im playing its all that matters, nothing else in the world can interrupt it.

i also am a big advocate of punk rock, and thats pretty much all i listen to, every now and then ill pop in the new bass sensation that every ones talking about, but my cd collection is 90% punk, especially the old punk rock, the real stuff (minutemen, meatpuppets, saccharine trust, replacements, husker du). most are good musicians, some fantastic, but what really gets me is the fact that alot of them play from inside, it doesnt matter that they taught themselves or dont have the best equipment or dont make tons of money, they play cause they love it, especially in players like mike watt, he pores himself into every note he hits. what i really hate is the stuff thats called punk rock today, punk has totally lost its meaning, when it was started it was about being different and not being mainstream, now all the bands called punk want to sound the same, urks the hell out of me.
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like playing bass because....well...I love playing..and I think electric guitar has too narrow string spacing, and it doesn´t go low enough
  4. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i play because i can't play drums any longer. :( :) :D
  5. I play bass because I love bass. There's just something about it. The many roles it can play, the way it sounds, everything.
  6. I play because I love music. Bass is essential to music. Any music without bass could usually be a lot better with bass.
    Then again, maybe this love for music developed after I started playing, but that doesn't REALLY matter...does it? :D
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I HAVE to play music. I am sure that many of you KNOW what I mean by that statement.
    When I stopped playing trumpet....I had to find another instrument to fulfill the "need"...:)...
    And since I always had bass lines going thru my head...the Bass was it for me.
    And...you just HAVE to love that feeling...when the rumble goes thru ya! :D
  8. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have always played "my" music because it defines who I am and my real passions in life. I play Bass because I dig being the low part of the rhythm foundation.But I'm also a guitar player and vocalist and I dig each of those things for different reasons.But you know, 'bass' has a cool all its own.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Because I have no life and its the one thing with which I'm competent.
  10. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Good reasons all...I started playing so I could get chicks. That's the down and dirty of it. Originally was too shy to go out and meet the women, so I figured a band would be the way to go. I chose the bass because it seemed to be the least assuming instrument.

Now, I've matured, (read that: Married, 2 kids), and play because I cannot imagine not playing. When I am playing, I look down at my simple, unassuming Fender Precision and just love the hell out of it. The way the strings feel under my fingers, that big-ass baseball bat neck in my hands, I just can't imagine not having that around. Like somebody said a few posts back..."You know what I mean"...Yes I do!!!
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play because I have six basses, and it's bad enough to try to explain that to my wife, but it would be much worse if I didn't play 'em.
  13. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Why not play? =) Lemme tell you what... last night, I had the most intense spiritual and damned near sexual experience with my bass... before I even started to play it. Hehehe. Maybe some of us are just born with a weird attraction to the bass... to the sound, the look, the whatever. And who am I to go against nature?
  14. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I have to. Before I got married I told my wife that I WILL play. Quiting is not an option. She accepted that. I was a bass player before I ever got a bass. I can't remember ever even thinking about playing anything else.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Like I have a choice? :D

Like Player's case, my wife knew it up front and it's never been an issue. It's a good thing because as much as I love my wife...;)

She's also accepted the fact that I'm opinionated (surprise), arrogant (so she says), annoying, silly...

in other words...perfect ;)
  16. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Ditto, Deynn. I can't improve on what you said. Music provides the "fix" for what is an addiction. Problem is, I have no desire to ever cure that addiction.:) :)

17. Music is universal - a language spoken by all peoples. A good moving rhythm with an earth trembling bass line cannot help but get folks moving. Doesn't matter what country you're from or what type of music you're playing. I love bass because I have always been intrigued by "the beat" and the undercurrent sound that was bass. I liked the upright sounds that had a thud with the lows. I got into trouble endlessly in elementary school for tapping my fingers, pencils, rulers on the desk-top, then I learned Wipe-Out and it all took off from there!I got different sounds from the desk, chair, tables, metal, wood. Bass is the great mover of song, the foundation on which the song movement (different from the beat)travels.That's the groove. I like drums so I stay real tight with the drummer, usually. I play some folk instruments and guitar, too, but I LOVE bass. Eat up with it and always will be. My wife is resigned that I will always be tuning to a song's beat/rhythm/bassline and I get that "look" on my face when I'm radarring in on the tune. She waits. Bless her. Bass is cool, subtle, powerful, strong, and can lend that low single note to truly make an entire song. Its cool getting applause and knowing you're sounding good. Good excuse for a few beers, too. Hell, its just FUN!!

18. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Because all of the black guys in my town played bass. Just kidding. HA HA.

Seriously, I need to play music to fulfil a part of my life that is empty without it. Playing on stage is my main reason. It is a high like no other getting in front of a rocking crowd.
  19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    But were they GOOD at it?

Okay...okay...we're NOT going back THERE again...:D:D:D