Why Do You Think Fender Dont Make...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jun 16, 2003.

1. A 5 string P-bass....

I know they have 5 stringers for the MIA Deluxe, but i want a Standard Precision in a 5 string.
    I guess they just figure it wouldnt sell too well?

2. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    you know now that you mention it they dont have one huh ? I to am suprised at the fact that fender would pass up a chance to make money on a new bass. come to think of it,DOES ANYONE MAKE A FIVER P-BASS ?:confused:
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is it me? didn't Fender make a five string shortscale pbass in the mid 60's?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My take is that the P pickup shape doesn't really fit a 5 string setup.
    Also, P bass players usually are pretty conservative, so they probably wouldn't buy a fiver anyway.
  5. I would buy one, and to solve the PU problem, they can do just what they do to the USA deluxe P and 'extend the length' a bit on the bottom coil i would think?
  6. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't think it was short scale, but it only had 15 or 16 frets, and it used a high C string.

As for a 5 string p bass, I would love one. I wrote warmoth today to see if they would make a carved dinky P bass body so it would fit a 5 string neck, and they said no.

I just started a post a couple of days ago looking for an affordable 5 string p bass, and I haven't had any luck.
    This is what I am thinking of doing, getting a suncoast 5 string stingray copy for $179, and adding an EMG P5 pickup to it. I would have a P/MM, all for less than $300. I hear the suncoast quality is comparible to Essex, so maybe I would have a decent bass in the end.

Here is a picture, pretty cool, huh?

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, but somehow that doesn't look right.

I wouldn't buy one. I've yet to hear a Fender with a convincing low b.
  8. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
  9. Yeah, thats what i said earlier, they make USA deluxes in 5 string, but i wanted a standard...however i just fooled around in Paint Shop Pro and made an image i have included, it does look a little odd...JMX might be correct when saying 'It dont seem right'
  10. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
    Sorry.I start remedial reading next week

RED J:rolleyes:
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    tuBass-that's one of the best looking Ray5 copies that i have ever saw. Got a link? :D As for the p-standard in a 5, i honestly don't know, i'd consider getting the American Deluxe except i've got the ray5 and i don't have any money for one along with me wanting a real upright that is my own. Thats all
  12. I think I saw a picture of Roscoe Beck (I can't remember where, sorry) with a 4-string version of his sig bass. I haven't seen any trace of it on Fender.com, though...
  13. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
  14. Not cool it was stolen :( , but a nice bass i mean.
  15. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Not a chance. The P and J market is extremely tradition bound and wouldn't be seriously affected. Rickenbacker would be the only other serious contender in that price range and they have a waiting list of diehard purists.

But I do think it would be successful in the market. If it affected the sales of Fender's other models, I think it might be their high end actives. I would certainly consider buying one.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice job! That's getting close to a Fender Precision V that I'd purchase. I prefer passive P-basses.

Personally, I'd prefer a P5 with just the one split pup. And if Mike Lull and Roger Sadowsky can offer a symmetrical 5-string split pup, then Fender should too.
  17. I too would put alot of consideration into obtaining an RB4 if they were out there.
    Definately be a cool bass.
  18. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

Your wish is my command

Click here

It's the first time in a while that a cheap bass gave me GAS. I especcially l;ike that they are using the pickguard and contro plate off of the 4 string stingray, it gave it more of a classic look. It's one of the few 5 stringers out there that there is actually room to add a p-bass pickup. Another option is to get a kingston. Same idea, but the starting price is at least twice as high, and you would be starting with a great bass to begin with.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000