Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Do You Think Fender Dont Make...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jun 16, 2003.

1. A 5 string P-bass....

I know they have 5 stringers for the MIA Deluxe, but i want a Standard Precision in a 5 string.
    I guess they just figure it wouldnt sell too well?

:(

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    you know now that you mention it they dont have one huh ? I to am suprised at the fact that fender would pass up a chance to make money on a new bass. come to think of it,DOES ANYONE MAKE A FIVER P-BASS ?:confused:

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is it me? didn't Fender make a five string shortscale pbass in the mid 60's?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My take is that the P pickup shape doesn't really fit a 5 string setup.
    Also, P bass players usually are pretty conservative, so they probably wouldn't buy a fiver anyway.

5. I would buy one, and to solve the PU problem, they can do just what they do to the USA deluxe P and 'extend the length' a bit on the bottom coil i would think?

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't think it was short scale, but it only had 15 or 16 frets, and it used a high C string.

As for a 5 string p bass, I would love one. I wrote warmoth today to see if they would make a carved dinky P bass body so it would fit a 5 string neck, and they said no.

I just started a post a couple of days ago looking for an affordable 5 string p bass, and I haven't had any luck.
    This is what I am thinking of doing, getting a suncoast 5 string stingray copy for $179, and adding an EMG P5 pickup to it. I would have a P/MM, all for less than $300. I hear the suncoast quality is comparible to Essex, so maybe I would have a decent bass in the end.

Here is a picture, pretty cool, huh?

[​IMG]

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, but somehow that doesn't look right.

I wouldn't buy one. I've yet to hear a Fender with a convincing low b.

8. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
  9. Yeah, thats what i said earlier, they make USA deluxes in 5 string, but i wanted a standard...however i just fooled around in Paint Shop Pro and made an image i have included, it does look a little odd...JMX might be correct when saying 'It dont seem right'

10. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Sorry.I start remedial reading next week

RED J:rolleyes:

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    tuBass-that's one of the best looking Ray5 copies that i have ever saw. Got a link? :D As for the p-standard in a 5, i honestly don't know, i'd consider getting the American Deluxe except i've got the ray5 and i don't have any money for one along with me wanting a real upright that is my own. Thats all

12. I think I saw a picture of Roscoe Beck (I can't remember where, sorry) with a 4-string version of his sig bass. I haven't seen any trace of it on Fender.com, though...

13. RED J

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
  14. Not cool it was stolen :( , but a nice bass i mean.

15. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Not a chance. The P and J market is extremely tradition bound and wouldn't be seriously affected. Rickenbacker would be the only other serious contender in that price range and they have a waiting list of diehard purists.

But I do think it would be successful in the market. If it affected the sales of Fender's other models, I think it might be their high end actives. I would certainly consider buying one.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Nice job! That's getting close to a Fender Precision V that I'd purchase. I prefer passive P-basses.

Personally, I'd prefer a P5 with just the one split pup. And if Mike Lull and Roger Sadowsky can offer a symmetrical 5-string split pup, then Fender should too.

17. I too would put alot of consideration into obtaining an RB4 if they were out there.
    Definately be a cool bass.

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

Your wish is my command

Click here

It's the first time in a while that a cheap bass gave me GAS. I especcially l;ike that they are using the pickguard and contro plate off of the 4 string stingray, it gave it more of a classic look. It's one of the few 5 stringers out there that there is actually room to add a p-bass pickup. Another option is to get a kingston. Same idea, but the starting price is at least twice as high, and you would be starting with a great bass to begin with.

Mark

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California