Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does crate make these?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volumefiend, Feb 17, 2003.

1. eh....and why do they cost $349?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    um...so they could offer a 1x15 combo in thier bass amp line? And because they can get $349 for it?

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah I would have to agree with the above...crank it if you can sell it i guess :rolleyes:

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its alot better than alot of the other crap people are selling.

Peace
    Nick

5. oh.

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    crate makes them because people buy them. for the price, they're a really good amp. i have one, no complaints about it. i love it. doesn't distort much at all at high volumes, nice tone, pretty loud, nice eq, lots of features. all that, and they can sell it for $349. i see no reason not to make it.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Crate probably gets something like $175 for it. GC probably asks $245, but will take $210.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why should they stop making it?:rolleyes:

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Crate BX-100, and I'm pretty happy with it. It does what I need it to do, and at half the cost of other amps, which didn't sound as good to me. If these are good enough for Jeff Berlin's clinics, they're good enough for me.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I wouldn't trade my Workingman's rig for anything...but I played through one of these Crate amps recently when I sat in on a set at a small cafe...I was REALLY surprised at the amazing tone, after all the negative things I'd heard about Crate. It's a good amp for it's size, handled my low b surprisingly well!

11. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Hey it's a nice beginner amp and if your in a low volume situation it kicks butt. I have one and don't have any complaints except that it's a pain to carry. But it is solid built. Like the old timex commercials it will take a licking and keep on ticking.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I disagree. It's hardly a beginner amp.

How could an amp that's louder and more full sounding than a $500 WM amp be a beginner's amp?
    There's a better term for it IMO:

Bargain.

13. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Gotta agree with the above posts - I've got one and it's a great amp.

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I used to have one. LOUD. Didn't sound too bad, either. And it was dirt cheap. I put some casters on mine and it was fantastic.

15. i disagree. i have the one in the picture, and it distorts horribly at even moderate volumes when my actives are on. it makes for a wonderful practice amp, though. i wouldnt ever gig with this. crate overrates it on its site, feeding you propaganda.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey, to each his own! All I'm saying is that the one I played blew me away, none of the negative stuff I'd heard regarding Crate products was apparent. Played a set with no problems, excellent tone and volume. I wouldn't be my first choice for a giggin amp, but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to play if I was told that was the amp I had to use either. :bassist:

17. IMHO;), they can get sufficient volume, but their tone isnt anything to die for.

We're living in a world where bassplayers prefer Peavey TNT's over a Hartke rig:rolleyes:... I dont get it...

18. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    I own a BX-100 and use it as a practice amp. I'm very pleased with it. It IS a pain to carry with the single handle on top. The only thing I'd like to see Crate change is to put handles on the sides, and leave a nice flat surface on top for setting a tuner, wireless, or whatever. In fact, one of these days I'm going to take the handle off the top of mine & put it on the side, and add another one to the other side. Casters are another great idea.

19. my hartke weighs 74 pounds. I have casters that can handle over 100, but they still break... I've went through afew sets of casters so far, the stock ones just suck, their plastic, just like every other thing on the hartke (plastic jacks, plastic knobs, despite the cheapness it's not stopping me from getting a 2000 or 3500 model hartke head:confused: ) I feel I spent more money on the casters than I did on the combo amp:D... A tip on casters; dont wheel them over bumps or even small cracks in sides walks too fast, they BREAK... SNAP SNAP! BANG BOOM! OH YEAGH!:D

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think you answered your own question