Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does everybody think my FunkMetal band sounds punk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by evilbrian9, Feb 6, 2003.

1. i have sold and given away hundreds of copies of my bands demo and i keep getting responses like, you guys remind me of old punk. i play fretless 6 and our drummer tries his hardest to play complicated stuff, even if it just sounds like hes doing paradiddles on the rims. they just say we are very similar to bands like Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols. why? why does this occur? i need some input to tell how to change our image from this. we want to be considered a fairly techinical band (which we are) instead of a 3-chords-a-song type of band. HELP!!!:confused:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Sit back and listen to one of your cds. What do you sound like? Try and set aside the fact that you know what you're playing - if it sounds messy and savage, people will think punk.

If you want to sound 'technical' work on technical things, like each of you playing cleanly, and playing some fancy unison and harmony patterns.

For example, if your drummer sounds like he's just breaking out paradiddles all the time, maybe he needs to slow down and work out how to play the things he does want to achieve - if you sound like X, an unbiased listener will tell you so, no matter how much you want to sound like Y.

Wulf

ps. I would give your stuff a listen but the cat related word in your band name won't let it past the firewall at work ;)

3. I concur with wulf

Funkmetal, especially if its technical is bound to sound punk-ish. Just because of all the sonic chaos it would create with all the notes and beats going everywhere.

When I first heard Iron Maiden, I thought they sounded like a punk band (of course, that's because a bunch of punk bands ripped off their riffs). And one of my friends (who didn't like punk) called Op IV and Social Distortion "Roots-rock", so it's all relative.

Besides, it don't matter what no one thinks! Play what you feel and enjoy and don't worry how you're labelled. Then all your fans will be into you for your music, not because you're in the same group as what's popular.

4. Depends on what songs you're playing for them. "Yellow Fever" is at the top of your mp3.com list. So, that's the one people probably use to judge you, and I think it does sound rather like punk (sorry...). Three-chord punk, no, and Sex Pistols? Hell no :confused: But the main part of the song gives me a punk vibe, primarily because of the simple drum beat.

The other two sound like an attempt at merging hardcore and progressive. For technical stuff like progressive, you've gotta be tight as a band; if you're not, it's gonna sound chaotic, and like Will said, people will end up thinking "punk."

But still, if people like your music, who cares what genre they think you are?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - what's funky about it? Funk isn't always (usually?) that complicated! The thing about it is having a tight rhythm section where everything is in place and accurate - if everybody is just thrashing about - then it's not Funk!

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Perhaps it's got a slightly punk-ish sound, but I wouldn't call it punk. I suppose it just sounds like metal to me, but I'm no expert on the genre :)

But, one think I can tell you... man, that ain't no funk. There ain't nothing funky about it. It doesn't sound like it's even trying to be funky, and even if it were, the timing issues would kill the funkiness.

Not trying to lay into you - the music is what it is - it doesn't have to be funky, it's up to you. But calling it Funk Metal implies there's a funk element, and listening to those three songs on MP3.com - I didn't hear any funk element.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may be an idea in this case,given the musical tastes involved to go and listen to an album like Blood Sugar Sex Magik - and try to hear what the bass and drums are doing and why that is funky!! That might help your band?

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What separates funk from punk? Rhythm. Mute some strings. Lock in with the bass drum. Play the notes, but play the rests as well. Work on that.

9. thanks guys, i appreciate the input. since mp3.com cut off all of us regular artists we only get 3 songs and you have no idea how cool the new songs are. we also got a new guitarist. live shows are fun and we are really energetic so people think punk. those tracks are all from our old demo which was recorded cheaply so it sucks, i will have new tracks soon. thanks :D

10. Dave! Hey everybody, its Wayne Rockafeller!