why does everyone dis myung????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Feb 25, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Why does it seem everyone on here is always dissing myung tone? i love it, its really good sounding, imo. He is by far, one of the best bass players out there. I like the way his tone and everything sounds, whats so bad about it? how does he set his stuff???

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, he is BURIED in the mix. completely. he hasn't been suitably audible since images and words, imo. ever since awake, portnoy's bass drum has been louder than myung's bass.

there's a fundamental flaw with that right there, but that's what you get when your drummer helps on mixdown. ;)
  3. I love myung!!

but I haven´t heard much of the new stuff so I can´t judge from that...

but awake and I & W are great!! those are the only cd´s I´ve really _listened_ to.... :)
  4. John Myung is a great player. I have to agree with JT though. In the 3 times I've seen Dream Theater (in 3 different venues), he was totally buried in the mix. Studio albums are pretty muddy too. I didn't realize Portnoy had a say so in the mastering.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    John Myung is really great, but I haven´t heard the new stuff exept Metropolis part 2 so I can´t judge the sound..
  6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    My opinion is that the overall sound is great,and that's what matters.To me,the whole band's sound is very beautiful,and this makes me believe that there is nothing wrong with the bass.Sure,as bassists it would be very interesting to be able to hear clearly what myung plays,but you must always keep in mind that this is all about MUSIC.I think that if myung's bass was louder,it would have an impact on the overall sound of dream theater,and that would be a shame.if you just sit back and listen to the song and not to the bass,then you'll see that they have made the right decision in the mix.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can really hear him well during his solos... but otherwise, I would have to agree that unless you're REALLY listening, you couldn't pick out the bass part. He is amazing, but there's something to be desired in the levels. Damn drummers.
  8. Screw the levels--he yanks out every bit of midrange he can. If he had some low mids he might stand a chance of getting heard over the drums, but even live it seems that he likes the "pretty tone" a lot more than he likes being heard.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Tone = blows. His tone is totally wrong for that drummer and guitar player. Sound fine until everyone else comes in. Its a shame, hes a fine player, but he has no concept of tone. Probably why he gets away with the Yamahas.

I bet Portnoy gets a say in the final mixdown by threatening to beat Myung up. Big fish eat little fish.
  10. Heh...Portnoy's not all that big himself, but then again, Myung's not that much bigger than his bass...
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    myung is killer, but i don't like his style.

i'm not into flash players, excpet for maybe billy sheehan.
  12. Hey Angus! :)

I agree his tone is weak during live performances (and a few albums) but I don't think this is because he has no concept of tone. When I've seen them live, it was my impression that his bass didn't cut through because whoever was behind the board had no concept of how to mix double bass drums! Those things are just so loud they swallow up everything. I think that's the main problem.

He sure looked like he was playing some impressive stuff! ;)
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000

That's my take on it as well. I can't understand why someone doesn't crank him up a bit.
  14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i think he sounds very good, on everything iveheard, anyone know his amp settings??
  15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    but i ahvent heard him live... soo......
  16. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    I just watch DT live video. He looks too serious with his 6 string and didn't seem to enjoy the show. Maybe because he can't hear his own playing, buried below Petrucci and Portnoy.
    I think Myung himself is a guy who doesn't like to show off. So he didn't do anything to be heard on the mix.
    On his lesson video, he even looks shy. Typical Asian maybe ?
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    i want a bass, if you want his tone, you might as well buy the cheapest bass and play it through a practice amp, because nobody will hear you.

His tone is only useful if you want to cover up bad playing! :D
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    myung's a great bassist, and i think he got a good mix on awake, couldve been a bit better tho, but on the live cd i have he's so not there.

i read somewhere that he uses a mesa boogie guitar pre amp
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    oooh I love seeing threads on DT. I've been a huge fan since the very first album and I remember telling all my friends what a monster this band was going to be. Glad to see they have persevered and still play insane progressive crunch. Images and Words is still my favorite album, but I can find stuff I like from them all.

Yeah, I do agree Myung's sound is quite subdued in the mix most of the time. I always attributed it to him being more of a support player than anything. Not EVERY band can have their bassist as out front in the mix as others, different types of music, etc.

When I saw them live though, all I really heard was guitar and drums, but it didn't bother me much. Petrucci and Portnoy are two that I never get tired of hearing.

Personally, if I had to play lines like they write, I would be turned down too, lol. But that's just because I can't keep up with some of the passages. Man they sure burn up the fretboards don't they?

At any rate, this is one band where it never bothered me that the bass is buried in the mix.
  20. He's not buried in every song that I've heard. A few of the songs I know, I can hear him perfectly. Lifting Shadows off a Dream, Lies, Freeport Jam, and others. He could have his volume lower because he just doesn't like being in the front. *shrugs* Still love his playing!