Why Does everyone dis on Evanesence???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Hey

I just realized something. I was listening to evanesences' CD yesturday and then I remembered a lot of people saying "they suck" "smashing pumkins is better than them" and "ur a *** for listening to them". Well wth??? I mean the guitar solos sound good, they have good musical taste, and unlike most modern bands, they have music in their songs. So why does everyone say evanesence blows????????

Edit: please reread the forum rules.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because many, many people would disagree with you on said points.
  3. Yup. OR, they heard that dink rapping "wake me up" on the single, which ruined the song, btw, and got the impression that they were a female fronted Linkin Park, and refused to give them a full listen.

I don't think they're meritable for much, but they're not wholly terrible, they just ride the line between obvious and mediocre.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, while not wholly terrible, I'm of the mind that their ride broke down.
  5. A couple of my friends are HUGE Evanescence fans, and have read up on many things, so I list here the main reason why I'm not too fond of them:
    They have no bass player.

That said, one or two of their songs are OK, and if I hear them on the radio or something I tend not to mind, but there's no way I'm going to buy thier CDs or download their MP3s.
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    As said before they remind a lot of people of another spawn of that horrible Linkin Park band, but instead fronted by some Hot-Topic fashion "goth" chick.

Plus i heard the goth chick lipsings....as said in a interview here on the radio by somone in a band that toured with them.
  7. Fantastic! LOL!
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I find that "hot topic goth chick" REALLY f'ing annoying... Not to mention, virtually every song sounds the same to me.
  9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I don't like them because my brother loves them.
  10. I dont mind Evanescence. I like Smashing Pumpkins too. I never knew they didnt have a bass player. Oh well. I think people might not like them because "they heard that dink rapping "wake me up" on the single, which ruined the song". That probably had a big part of people not liking them or even checking them out.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw that and they just looked so... manufactured - sort of like a Marketing man had taken all the parts or aspects of other successful bands and put them together in one band - yeah that'll work!! :rollno:
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it did work. Does that speak badly of the Marketing dept. or the consumer?
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig them, or her actually.... she's cute and she sings some pretty cool stuff :meh:

14. they do have a bass player, and he is the only person in the world i know that plays a fender aerodyne jazz bass. i can't think of his name though...anyways, if you think they are manufactered, (i won't state my opinion on that!) i will say i would rather listen to them than say...nsync, or linkin park.
    i kinda like them i guess.
    i am glad there is no more rapping after "wake me up" on the cd!

15. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Amy Lee is hot, but every interview I've ever seen with her, she is like a...bitch. Maybe she just doesn't like MuchMusic Interviewing her.

Another thing I hate is no one in the band gets any attention at all, except for her and, when he was still in the band, Ben Moody.

The music is...meh, fine. Average at best. Don't like 'em, Don't hate 'em.
  16. I think their approach is slightly more original than a lot of nu-metal bands, but they are still mostly the same thing we've seen so many times, but with a chick singer. My opinion.
  17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I think their lyrics are trite and immature to say the least.
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    They are a watered-down Lacuna Coil. And Christina Scabbia would take Amy Lee in a fight any day.
  19. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

I think a lot of people hate them because bands like Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Theatre of Tragedy, etc...have been around for a long time and they got no recognition in the US. But here comes Evanescence who got instant fame. And they are not as talented as the above mentioned bands. I don't have "Fallen" but I've downloaded a few tracks. Fairly good, but nothing groundbreaking or exciting. Better than a lot of other modern U.S. bands though.
  20. I forgot who said this first, but nu-metal with a chick singer is still nu-metal. "Bring Me to Life" is okay; I'll usually listen to it if it comes on the radio and there's nothing really good on. I actually rather enjoy the dink's singing on that one; it's so melodramatically overdone that I can't help but laugh and/or sing along to "saaaaave meeeee!" The second single is so awful I have to change the station every time it comes on; damn song puts me to sleep, and since I only listen to the radio while driving...yep, can't have that :scowl: Same goes for that Seether/Amy Lee song. Crappy song, and I hate that after only two(!) singles with Evanescence, she's already going solo...at least Gwen Stefani waited a couple albums... :spit: