Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does everyone hate Squire's????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Jan 29, 2002.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    I own two Squier P-Basses and a Fender Jazz. Albeit, the Fender is a trillion times better, buy why are people so harsh on poor little Squiers? They're not meant to be great, just a cheap and yet playable bass. I love my P-Basses, they rock! I've done some great shows and written some awesome things on them. I love the full tone, as I love the empty tone. Did I mention I love them? :D
    Yet everytime they're brought up people attack it just about as unrelntingly as possible. Why? :confused:

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Just wondering.
    Thanks for letting me rant :D

2. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I don't hate 'em...one p-bass I had a few years back kept my family warm when our heater broke. ;)

...joking, they're fine entry level basses.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Exactly. Very good basses for the price. Are they as good as more expensive basses? No, but why should they be? Great entry level basses, and good as a backup bass for anyone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money. If my Tobias failed during a gig, and someone lent me a Squire, I would play it with no qualms, and get a good sound out of it. I played a Squire Infinity Strat recently that a friend bought, and compared it side by side with a MIM Strat, and I liked the $149 Squire better. It played much better, and the construction seemed better, too.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i've known quite a few folks who've had construction problems with them. ymmv, but i wouldn't get one. there are other alternatives - shoot, i'd get a rogue first, or save up a bit longer and get a mim fender.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Every Squier Ive played was well worth the money they where asking. I think the electronics are the weakest aspect of Squiers.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i wouldnt buy a squire either, the construction on them is'nt so hot. Id save for something better.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Because they are true Fenders, but made overseas. The US majority think that Fender is a holy name for America, and if it's not made in the US, it sure should be built in America!

IME, the mechanics and woodwork of Squier is as good as any Fender, incl US - and as variable. So you'd have to examine all Fenders/Squeirs you can get your hands on, to find the best - and it could be a low-priced Squier!!!
    Still IME, the US-speced electronics are slightly better than Squier. But, mind you, the vast part of the difference is not the pups! It's the pots and wiring!!:eek: Which are terrible (still IME).
    As always: YMMV.

My conclusion will still be nationalism:rolleyes:

anybody see my portable flame shelter?

8. I would rather get the Danelectro Rumor bass for $99, much better deal. I have nothing against squiers at all, the p basses sound alright, but I feel they are OVERPRICED, and have poor paint jobs (plus really bright colors, whats up with that?)

9. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    First...Cause the electronics suck...bad...
    second...alot of them have serious construction problems!

10. My first bass was a Fender Squire P-bass, which I still have and still play quite a bit. I have never had any problems with it, up until a couple weeks ago when the volume pup broke. I got this bass back in '97 when I could finaly afford to drop $400 on a bass and an amp. After the initial setup was done I have never had to adjust it, even after it sat alone, untouched, and in a very awkward postion for a few months. I had to tweak the truss rod opnly one, and even then, only needed a quarter of a turn. It is an excellent bass for a beginner, and a pretty good bass to upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't touch a Rogue with a ten foot torch, just something about the compressed cardboard body that doesn't sound as appealing as wood, but that's just me. As always, YMMV.
    And the MIM Fender would be a decent alternate choice.

Edit: Never had any problems with mine until this month, maybe I just got lucky with mine. Never thought of that...

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not really, a lot of people would rather have an MIM than an MIA, just because for the same price you can upgrade it an incredible amount.

The MIA's do infact use better electronics, also they allow the workers that are putting them together to use more time.

Quite the contrary, they don't even use the same woods in Squires. As far as I've known they've used ply-wood type wood on Squires, which is one of the reasons they're all so light.

They're actually considerably better.
    While I'd take an MIM over an MIA any day, if it's a stock MIM vs a stock MIA, I'd rather have the MIA.

Distaste for a country proves another person ignorant... :rolleyes:

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, they're cheap and playable. So what? If it's all you can afford and you can't find a used axe that's better, go for it.

I do recall being a beginner and starting on cheap crap. I wish someone had told me about used gear back then (early 70s) when pre-CBS basses were all over the place for $150-250 and I blew $175 on a cheap Japanese import copy of an EB-3 instead.

Now I know better and I try to hip others to the joys of going with used stuff.

13. Yeah, they're cheap, and not as well made as ................... However, just like any other instrument, if you look, spend some time, it's absolutely amazing what you can find.

For the money, I feel that the Squier Affinity P-Bass is probably the best bass you can buy. Read what I just said, $ FOR $, for what you get, you can't beat it.

I have a Squier Affinity P. Baltic Blue. It's a nice subdued blue color that blends in anywhere. The finish is flawless, except for the dents I've put in it. The body is "alder", not plywood. How many pieces? Don't know, don't care. The neck pocket is tight as hell with no extra room. The neck feels as nice as any AmSeries you can find. It's actually smoother, faster, and has better fret work than my AmStd Jazz or P, which are both nice. The sound is solid P. A little harsher than my AmStd, but P none the less. The tuners are cheezy as hell but they work smoothly and don't slip. I'll probably change them some day, but not until they slip or cause me some other problem. The bridge, well, it's typical Fender. The pots are the small ones normally found in the offshore, asian made instruments, but, they work. The output jack works without any popping or whatever.

The bass is far better than any MIM that I've ever owned and in some ways as good as MIAs that I have owned, and do own. The neck may go someday because it doesn't have the graphite rods. But then again it may not. Many without the rods are still working fine and are over 50 years old.

Is this bass typical of any run-of-the-mill Squier Affinity P-Bass? No! It takes time and patience to find one like this. I got lucky. But, many of them out there are still real nice, and I mean real nice players that would work for just about anyone who can pick up a bass.

If you don't like Squier, that's cool, or for that matter, Fender, that's also cool, don't play them, don't pick them up in the stores, don't look at them in the magazines, don't read about them on the net. Just ignore them. Fender won't mind. Those of us that like them won't mind either. If you do decide to say something negative, then state the facts, and make it clear that you're talking about a particular instrument. (My first wife was a real work of art. Should I condemn every female on the planet because of her?)

Squiers are good. Some are better than others. Almost all are worth the money that you pay for them. Average street price for an Affinity P is about $150 right now. Some are even OUTSTANDING! And, unfortunately, a few are garbage, just like anything else.

14. JP,

You will find that a lot of people don't put basses into categories before making judgements about them. For example, entry level, mid priced, professional, etc.....

You will get people who own several $3000 dollar basses tell you that everything else sucks because they are putting them all in the same category.

If the bass is in your price range and it works for you, there is nothing wrong with it.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:mad:When will people quit spouting this garbage? Do some research before you say crap like this.:rolleyes: The Squier Affinity P bass is made of alder, and most of the other current production Squier basses and guitars are made of agathis. Squiers were made of plywood at one time, but they are not anymore.

16. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    agreed.

17. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Yeah, they do have funny paint jobs.
    Danelectro and Rogues that cost $99 I've always found are good for beating the crap out of onstage :D

18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    What kind of construction problems?
    BTW, I've never had any problems at all, let alone contruction problems.

19. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC

Agreed.
    Nicely put. :)

20. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC

Good call
    Agreed.