1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does everyone misspell my last name?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Jun 10, 2011.

1. My name is Matthew Andrus. Andrus is not a hard name to spell or even remember for that matter. While it's not a super common name like like Smith or Jones, it's not too uncommon to find someone with my last name that's not related to me. My last name has been spelled countless ways by countless people; Andes, Andreas, Andrews, Anderson, etc., and now...Angus.

So my band's new CD just had a pretty good review from a guy on a website here. He gives props to the groove and the rhythm section, BUT...he calls me Matt ANGUS!!!

How in the world is my name going to get out there if everyone keeps misspelling it?:help::help:

/rant

2. WackoStu

WackoStu

Dec 6, 2010
    Sturtevant WI
    Same boat. My last name ends in "en" and most people want to have it end in "on".

3. Brasfield. It's usually spelled "Brassfield," "Bradfield," or "Bradsfield."

The kicker is, when I spell it out, people always say, "Are you sure?" :rolleyes:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So this is more of a "hey guys, check out this review of my band" than a lament about spelling errors.

-Mike

5. I just read that review again and I realized that they called Pam, the singer, by here maiden name, Ison. She's married to the guitarist, Chris Nye. WTH???

6. No, really, it's not. I was a little PO'd about it and had to rant. I really don't like this band's music as much as my other one but it's fun to play and gig with them.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    pfffff.. I have had my name misspelled and mispronounced so many times that I'm surprised when someone gets it right :)

8. Last night I wondered if Moe Szyslak was supposed to be one of those anti-Polish jokes that I didn't get. I just googled him though and it doesn't look to be the case

9. Let's start a club- mine's *Thornbrugh* which in 2-12th grade was more often than not *Thornbarf, -dog, -dookey, etc* :rolleyes:

One clown dubbed me *Throwup* :atoz:

Some very dear friends now refer to us as the *Thornbrutals*
    I like that one.:cool:

10. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Meh.. it's not as bad as having to stop, and think over how to spell your own last name... or always bouncing between two pronunciations... :hide: my last name has been pronounced two ways as far back as I can remember, and furthermore... it translates from Italian to English to the name of another country.. a place I have no roots...

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You got off easy - I'll PM you what they corrupted mine to!

12. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    But basically (albeit written with mistakes) it is not something that got you taunted in school. I always felt real bad for kids with names that other kids made fun of.....
    Some of the names --- I'm sorry, but I would change them, no matter family history or pride or whatever. Kids get a serious ration of crap in school for some names that sound similar to genitals, excrement, behaviors, or "the evacuation of bodily fluids"

13. My last name is L'Abbé, pronounced la-bay. The only people who have ever spelled it right the first time are my family and various Quebecois.

But the Quebecois are no good to me, because they automatically disregard me as 'Les Anglais.'

I'm proud of my heritage, don't get me wrong... but sometimes I wish I could have been called 'Smith'.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Amen.

I've had it mispelled on my: driver's license, debit card, credit card, student ID, car title, and I'm sure there's more. And for all of those, I handed them a form with my name block-printed on it as well as at least 1 form of picture ID with the correct spelling.

Sometimes I start to think that the rest of the world may be right and WE are simply mispelling our names ;)

15. OK, you guys are starting to make me feel bad about feeling bad about my name misspelled.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Phhhhfffft!

Try having a name like Von Porklipps!

17. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Ah, I usually spell Labbé when I hear it. Except if you say it has an apostrophe.

Labadie (law-baw-dee) gets its fair share of misspellings, especially in the English world. Lab-uh-DIE!

18. Or a face like Ron Jeremy.

19. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Almost everyone gets my name wrong; I'm used to it.

20. Anyone ever forget the 'd' and 'r' ?
    :bag: