Why does everyone seem to hate MEC??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by furiously funky, Apr 22, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i'm looking into getting a warwick, and was wondering why everyone seems to hate MEC? and if you aren't one of thoes people who does hate them, please explain yourself anyway.
    thank you ~Marty
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I agree with SMASH. I have a fretted Corvette 4 (passive model) and I like the tone I get from the MECs. Very nice growl to them.
  3. papalo

Apr 16, 2003
    MEC pickups are fine, the pre-amps usually suffer. Seems like most people swap out the MEC pre's rather than the pickups. Maybe that is where the bad mojo is coming from?
    Warwicks are quality instruments.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had the original MEC pups and pre in my '90 Thumb until recently, when the pre died.

I had no problem with them, beyond the high's being kind of hissy - probably more due to the pre than the pups.
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I have MEC's in my corvette standard and they sound great, dont have the low end i would like though, the punch, great growly mids, but the highs are definitally there but seem to lack at the same time, im throwing a Bart in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Bassline in bridge postion, gonna get me more ommmph with the low end, extra mids (ala tool) and nice highs, but I dont see anything wrong with MEC's just want a different sound out of my warwick without losing that warwick sound of the woods:)
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've had lotsa warwicks, and i dig the mec's. i think my neck through 4 string sounded the best with them, though. my 6 has seymour duncans, and i had a 5 (it came with mec's which sounded good)that i put barts in (barts sounded better)....that was close to the voice of god. there's nothing wrong with the mec's at all...it's just personal preference. there's also this taboo thing some people have with post- '96 warwicks in general...i've played some awesome sounding ovangkol warwicks, too.
  7. [​IMG]

they work nicely with my bass
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The first generation of Warwicks came with EMG pickups and preamps (so for that matter did many early Ibanez Soundgears). When Warwick dropped the EMGs in favor of MECs, some players felt it was a step backwards.
  9. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I have never replaced the MEC pickups, in my opinion they are great pickups, I never had any problem with them, I just need a good rig and that's it, by the way, the UPS guy is coming today, he's bringing this beauty that I got from Señor cb56, I can't wait to get my hands on this nice bass :hyper:
  10. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Oh Yeah, I've owned about 17 Warwicks, my favorite so far is this Corvette FNA JazzMan, I traded it for a StingRay 5 and I regret it, it has a 2 band basslines preamp with a slap switch.