Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does everyone want ot trade Roscoe for my Ken Smith ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Oct 21, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i play a ken smith 6 string. I have had 15 people in the last month ask me to trade it for their Roscoes.
    what is up with this ?

I keep hearing that the Roscoe is the hot new bass but i see a ton of them for sale, and now, through personal experience i have people asking me to trade them.

comments ?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    15 people, huh? all in one month.

cool. you should be flattered. :)

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    uh huh.:rolleyes:

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently traded my Smith BSR6P for a Roscoe SKB 3006. I liked the Roscoe much better than the Smith, however, I sold the Roscoe to a friend and bought a Modulus Q6 that I like best of all. My small hands like the narrow neck on the Q6 and it is one lovely bass to play. It is also the only 6 I've owned that did not have neck dive.

I'll trade you a Yamaha BB 200 for your Smith! :)

There! You've had a different offer on your Smith.

Chuck

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'll give you and Essex BG-150 fretless for your Smith. ;) Just thought I'd add some variety to your offers. :D

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    personally- i'd keep a Roscoe.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm not dissing the Roscoe; I 've never played one and they look like very nice instruments. I just found it curious that so many people are trying to get rid of theirs.

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think it's simply not because Roscoe is bad it's just that the Smith is amazing.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you sure it wasn't just one person trying really hard?

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i don't think so... most sent me pictures with their emails. And lest I forget, someone also wanted to trade an F bass...

How nice are these Roscoes ? :)

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Maybe you should post pix/specs of your Smith. IME there are some Smiths I'd trade away to get a Roscoe (BSR-B, BSR-J, Chuck Rainey) and some that I'd trade away a Roscoe to acquire (BSR-GN, BSR-EG). IME BSR-EG and BSR-GN basses are highly sought after and command big bucks ($2,200 & up), even on eBay. I see Roscoes going in the same price range, maybe slightly lower.

Peace,

James

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    had both.....

I like smiths, but their tone and b string I felt had some limitations. Roscoes rock, but the lg I had had narrow spacing. But either of those basses I consider a truly awesome bass. Neither was really my cup of tea though. I think it would come down to electronics, model, and woods and finish to tell, cause they both come from great brands.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    LOL @ JT... I played many Ken Smith 4s and I LOVE the feel and playability, but the pickups really make your sound like having a scooped EQ.. personally i would go for the Roscoe.. just IMHO

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Really? I see more Ken Smiths for sale. I'll trade a Peavey T-40 for your Smith plus 50 cents!

15. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That's just wrong!!

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You know your right! If the Ken Smith bass has Smith strings on it I'll up the offer to the T-40 and 75 cents!:D

17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'd never take a Smith in trade for one of my Roscoes. (This is an edit after Izie's comment). I've fondled a few, nice feel, somewhat sterile sound, although they do have a woody vibe as well. Just not my cup of tea, but nice basses.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I believe I would take a roscoe over a ken smith.. Ken smith basses are good and all.. but I just never could find "my" tone with one