Why does everything look like Fender?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Definitely, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

You know what really bothers me? High end basses (with exceptions) all are shaped and modeled after Fenders. Take, for example, Sadowsky. All of their basses with jazz pups are shaped exactly like Fender jazz basses, right down to the knobs. If I'm buying a $4000+ bass, I want something new and original, not a Fender look-a-like. Why do they do this?

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Fender broke the mold and the others are just trying to rebuild it.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    End of thread.

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Because Fender is the best......

5. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Try a MM bongo...Weird, but way better in person. And the tones are incredible.

Plus, nothing else looks like it.:bassist:

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    There is a large number of high-end builders not making super-P or super-J basses.

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Because Fender are awesome. And the clones are not a large percentage. Find something else you like and buy that instead!

Easy.

8. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    You want original?, buy one of these:
    Birdsong - Professional hand built short scale basses
    You can even pick your own wood. I know, I did on mine.

Now to answer your original question, everything looks like a Fender because Leo was the one who started it all in 1951. The Fender Precision was the first mass-produced electric bass guitar. Like other classics, it will forever be imitated. Remember that "imitation is the best form of flattery".

9. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    There are other options but Fender styles have dominated Bass way back since..............they invented it.

Look at the history of virtually any music genre and the greats all played Fenders. The style and sound is familiar, comfortable, etc.

So boutique builders make high end Fender-style basses because people want them.

10. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i think its because the jazz bass offset contour body is the most eye appealing design ever produced. i think i read somewhere leo fender didnt even play the bass or any instrument. nice job ! its kind of like the wheel, once the first guy invented it no one could improve on his design.

11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm pretty sure Roger Sadowsky has said as much in posts here at TB.

12. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    You should like else where than Sadowsky for originality. Look at Warwick or Conklin.

13. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    why do cheap manufacturers copy Fender? It's not any different. That's what people are familiar with and want. It's much harder to design something new and make money. Lots of dollars in marketing and branding.

14. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

Sadowsky is just one example, and Musicman, Warwick, Ibanez, they're all exceptions it's just that for some reason I have found quite a lot of very expensive basses that look exactly like Fenders with a small touch here and there. I agree that the offset body is nice, but do you have to put two j pickups in it? Same control plate, knobs, pickguard shape? I think more companies should be like Musicman and really venture out there in design.

15. 1bassman

1bassman

Jun 1, 2011
    northeast ohio
    fender invented the bloody thing
    like gibson did with the les paul...ICON.
    you don't like then don't play..simple.

16. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

It's not that I don't like the basses, I just want to know why Fender is always the one cloned.

17. raphaeldc

raphaeldc

Mar 24, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    +1

18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Name recognition. When you say you play a Fender, everyone knows you play a guitar of some sort. Make something that looks like it but cheaper or an improved version and you are in business.

Same goes for Rolex and McDonald's. When you hear those names, your mind automatically thinks watch and food.

See, now you got me hungry for a damn Big Mac. Is it lunch time yet?

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    A Sadowsky J bass puts a Fender J bass to shame.

20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Fender clones exist because the shape works and many people want it. It's not complicated. If you want other shapes, they're available as well. Different market. Be happy. Bark less. Wag more.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021