Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Does Fender J-Bass necks cost so damn much?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Murtz, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    Well.. its in the topic fi anyone knows where i can find cheap ones thene please telll me.

2. I guess that all depends on what you would call expensive...

StewMac - Maple/Rosewood/fretted - $155
    StewMac - Maple/Ebony/fretless - $145
    Warmoth - Maple/Rosewood or Pao Ferro - $151 to $167 (other options available)
    Warmoth - Maple/Maple - $147
    MightyMite - Maple/Rosewood or Maple/Maple - $140

All within a few bucks of each other and well worth it if your instrument is truly in need of a new neck.

3. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    U see i was going down to my local music dealer. Asked me if he had a replacement for Fender J-bass necks(where the fender logo is on the neck) he answerd "sure that will be $800" and i vent like Erm... ok theme i wont buy it.
    So there is my problem. If anyone got a used fender J-bass and don't need it anymore or are willing to sell it I'm interested in the neck.

4. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    Bye the way. im a Fender mong. so it needs the fender mark. ;)

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    The fender mark is a big part of a Fender basses value. You know that, but want to get it on the cheep.

Try getting a Craftsmen tool set except made from cheeper stock but with Craftsmen still embossed on it for less. Or a Aiwa TV but with Sony on the front of it...

Chances are you can get a aftermarket neck of another brand that is as good or better for a lot cheeper than one with the Fender mark.

If your company had build a name for itself, would you make it easy for folks to put your name plate on something else to make a cheeper imitation?

JC

6. If you are that hung up on the sticker then you wouldn't care to know that Warmoth and Mighty Mite are both licensed by Fender to market aftermarket necks bearing the Fender trademarked headstock design and designed as replacements suitable for their instruments.

Your point is well taken that you can't go wrong with buying quality, but for less than half the money you can have higher quality, custom features, exotic woods, and a Fender licensed product. Then spend $50 on a real Fender decal. I guarantee that if you are a player, you'll appreciate the difference.

7. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    Thank you for that the problem is i live in Norway and im not sure where to get it :(

8. $350 I think from Musiciansfriend.com for a genuine fender replacement neck. I mean for $800 you could get whole other bass.

9. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
  10. At a guitar convention here recently they had Fender stickers that you put on the neck and if you put it on right i looks exactly like a Fender neck.